You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 2:44pm

Irritrol Slim Dial Not Work

I purchased the Irritrol Slim Dial over 7 years ago. This model has no rain sensor, so I always have to turn it off manually when there is rain. There was a storm for 2 weeks so I turned off the irrigation. After the storm, I turn on the controller; however, it doesn't work anymore even the time, date and countdown time for each control still display on the controller. I try to turn it on manually at each individual control valve and the solenoid made a sound as if it is operating; however, the sprinkler doesn't work. I try to reset the system by unplugging the controller and changing the battery, but nothing works. Please help me how to resolve this issue. Thank you.

mrfixit

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 4:09pm

I first suspected the ground wire came loose at the controller but you say there's power at the solenoid.
Can you turn the valve on with the bleeder screw? I've seen gardeners turn the valve off supplying water to the sprinkler system on a few occasions. Even homeowners then they forget they've done it.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 4:48pm

The Slim Dial is an earlier-generation controller, so don't beat yourself up over it not working. If you do everything that can be done to reboot it, and no success, then move on.

Wednesday, March 24th 2010, 1:24pm

Yes, I tried to turn it on with the bleeder screw and no sprinkler works. I inquired irritrol about purchasing a newer model, but they said that if my wire is faulty, it doesn't make a difference. Therefore, I hope to figure out the issue before installing the new controller. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

mrfixit

Wednesday, March 24th 2010, 5:55pm

I highly doubt you need a new controller.

Check the fuse to see if it's blown.

You said you tried to turn the valves on at the bleeder screw and nothing worked.

The only way for all the valves to not work all of a sudden with the bleeder screw is if someone shut the

water supply off or turned the flow controls down. Open the screw farther and see what happens. Take it out if need be.

Thursday, March 25th 2010, 12:57pm

Things that I tried so far...Preliminary diagnosis - blockage in piping

1. Unplug the transformer and battery to verify if any of the valve is faulty; however, I don't see anything out of the norm as indicated in the manual.

2. Check the voltage with a voltmeter and it reads 26V (instead of 24V as indicate by the Irritrol representative)

3. Turn on each valve at the bleeder screw and nothing happens. But I heard the solenoid sounds as if it's working. I turned the bleeder screw to the max, but I still can't see anything. No water even drippling from these screws. Therefore, the technical representative thinks that there is a blockage in the piping somwhere.

How do I check the location of blockage?

That's very strange for all valves to blow at once. Where can I check the fuse? Is there another location (besides the controller and the valve) that can control all of these sprinkers. Some of the kids in my neighborhoods are very naughty, so I am not sure if they turned off certain thing without my knowledge.

Please help. Thanks again.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ikpicachu" (Mar 25th 2010, 1:31pm)

mrfixit

Thursday, March 25th 2010, 8:05pm

I have an idea. Do you have a master valve? If that valve isn't working there wont be pressure at your valves. Do you have a pump feeding the sprinkler system?

It's been so long since I've seen a slim dial. I just assumed there's a fuse under that panel where the wiring hooks up to the controller. Even if there was you've already proven it's ok by checking the voltage output.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, March 26th 2010, 9:12am

I think Slim Dials had a self-resetting mechanical breaker, and never did go to the electronic breaker used in modern controllers. If you can remove one of the supposedly-activated solenoids (being careful to not lose any loose parts) you can verify that it is actually working.
-
All the valves failing at once is very uncommon, as is all the zones being blocked all at once.
-
If the water is really turned on, a bleeder screw should be able to open the valve and get water flowing. You need to verify that there isn't a master valve in the mix.

Friday, March 26th 2010, 12:48pm

The sprinkler system has no pump feeding.

I verified the master valve nearby and it's on. Is there another possible blockage somewhere in the piping?

I have 4 zones controlling by 4 solenoids. I am not sure how to determine which solenoid to remove. Which part of the solenoid should I remove?

mrfixit

Friday, March 26th 2010, 6:12pm

The problem is the master valve or the wiring leading to the master valve. In my first post I said I suspected the ground wire but you said there's no water. I now suspect the master valve wire at the controller itself. Re-splice that wire at the controller. Re-splice the wires at the master valve. It could still be the valve itself but I suspect the wiring.

You suspect a clog in the main line. I highly doubt that's an issue.

Rate this thread