You are not logged in.

tboatwright

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 9:06am

Splicing a DIG drip system in with traditional soaker hose

I have a traditional soaker hose in a flower garden and i'm wondering if i could splice in a DIG drip system to water an adjacent vegetable garden instead of having to run another water line down to the garden. does anyone know if there is a t connector with a system like DIG that i could use to t a 1/2 pipe to and then do 1/4 inch drips off of that? would the pressure be to low? i have the soaker hose on pretty low when i use it so it seems like i have pressure to spare if i turn the faucet up more. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 8th 2010, 11:48am

a Rainbird 1800 Retrofit adapter is the simplest means to run filtered low-pressure water to a drip zone.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1800-RETRO-Retrofit-Kit-p/1800-retro.htm (you can navigate from that page to other drip items)

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 1:55am

The potential problem with connecting drip irrigation to a soaker hose is different watering rates.

For drip to work properly, you need around 25psi. But at that pressure, the soaker hose might be putting out a ton of water, while the drip irrigation... well is only dripping it.

Stated another way, you run the risk that either the plants watered by the soaker hose get too much water OR the plants watered by the drip irrigation get not enough water.

The other thing you could do is get a Y adapter installed just before the soaker hose... one of those Y adapters that allows you to selectively turn on one or both hoses connected to the Y adapter. Then just run an extra garden hose (hidden under mulch) down to where you want to start the drip system.