You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

xxxvwxxx

Starting Member

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 10:52am

Design question. . .

So I went to rainbird and did the design system. As most houses I have 3/4" service line coming into the house. Rainbird has me tapping off the house line with a 1" pipe and 2 zones are 1" and 2 are 3/4". I was curious if the 1" lines would work coming off 3/4" supply. Any info would be much appreciated. thanks.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 9:39pm

First of all, even if you only have a 3/4" line comming into the house, you might have a 1" service line in the yard you can tie into. That's the case for me. 1" PVC from the meter to just outside the house, then transistions to 3/4" copper just before coming into the house.

Second, when it comes to irrigation, larger pipes just mean less resistance and therefore less pressure loss while travelling through the larger pipes.

We're not talking about sausage where you push it through a 3/4" grinder and it stays 3/4" when you move it into a 1" pipe. Water is a fluid operating under pressure. The water goes where ever the pipe will let it. Think of it this way, your hose bibb operates by opening and closing a openning that is about 1/4" is size, but you don't notice that being a problem feeding a 1/2" hose do you?