You are not logged in.

MN-Archer

Starting Member

Wednesday, April 21st 2010, 8:29am

Bleeding and removing cover on RainBird valve

Hello,

I have one Rainbird zone that trickles water after the system is off. I've been told that the valve my be dirty. After locating the valve, I see that there a 5-6 screws that hold everything together. I didn't want to create more problems, so I didn't remove the screws until I asked for some advice. In order to clean the valve, do I need to remove those 5-6 screws?

Also, there is a little "peg" sticking up from the valve; is that how I bleed it? If so, how do you go about doing that? Again, I didn't want to break anything, so I didn't mess with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tim

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 21st 2010, 1:37pm

I'm assuming that peg is the bleeder screw. Just open it counter clockwise. Some water will come out. That's supposed to happen. Keep turning the screw slowly til the sprinklers come on. When you shut it off don't over tighten it. Just turn the screw until it stops. It may take a few seconds for the valve to shut off. Not sure which valve you have.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-Valves-s/418.htm

As far as the leak goes. It's either the diaphragm or the valve seat. Possibly the solenoid isn't tight. Don't over tighten.

Just pay attention when you take the valve apart. You'll need to know where those parts go when you re-assemble.

Look for pits or debris in the diaphragm. It only takes one pit or grain of sand. Look for a crack in the seat. The crack can be very small and hard to see.

Good luck!

Rate this thread