You are not logged in.

DEM

Sunday, May 2nd 2010, 9:38pm

PGP vs MP Rotators

We purchased a home last summer in Loveland, CO. The back yard has a large patio and then the yard slopes down to the property boundary. This slop is about 11%. The sprinkler system that was installed only has heads (Hunter PGP's) up along the patio. I think the thought was that the water would run down. However, the grass at the bottom of the slop gets more sun and is dry while the grass at the top looks fine. I am going to add another zone or two and install heads along the bottom. The maximum throw distance is within the 30' range of the MP Rotators (MP3000). Most throw distance is more in the 15-25' range. I like the MP Rotator's for 2 reasons - 1) Hunter says they are 30% more water efficient and 2) they say they apply more water closer to the head (first 3') where the grass is dryest. However, I have also read not to use spray type heads on slops. Will the MP Rotators work in this application, or should I stick with the PGP's? Additionally, my working pressure is 50 GPM. If MP Rotators are recommended, is it better to stop down the flow at the valve (say with the hunter accu-set pressure regulator) or with the head body (MPR40)?

Thanks far any help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 3rd 2010, 12:06pm

How long are you running the zone with the heads at the top of the slope?

DEM

Monday, May 3rd 2010, 2:47pm

If my memory serves me right, I am running all 4 zone about 15 minutes each (2 zones in the front and 2 in the back). I then cycle through the other zones to give the water some time to soak in and then I run it another 15 minutes. I repeat this twice so that the zone gets 1 hr of water over a 4 hr time period. I try to run the sprinklers about once a week but sometimes run it more frequently during the hot times of the summer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 3rd 2010, 4:20pm

Top-of-slope zones might need to have extended run times, if runoff was a part of the system design.

DEM

Monday, May 3rd 2010, 8:06pm

Thanks for the advise. I am in the beginning stages of redesigning the landscape in my backyard. If I am going to add any more zones, I need to do it now or it will be a lot more work in the future. Additionally, it seems like adding zones would probably be more water efficient than counting on run off? Either way, I am probably going to install the additional zones to be on the safe side. With that said, would you recomend the PGP's or the MP Rotators based on the given information?

Thanks again for your tim and advise!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 4th 2010, 6:08pm

stick with PGPs - stronger head, with the 3/4-inch pipe connection - less heads means less things to go wrong.

DEM

Tuesday, May 4th 2010, 6:38pm

Good advice. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. One last question. There are 2 locations that are about 10 feet wide. I think the PGP's would be too much. Can I mix PGP's and MP rotators on a zone assuming that I reduce the flow on the MP rotators with the MPR40 sprinkler body and reduce the 3/4 in pipe going into the MPR40 body?

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 2:40pm

The interchangeable nozzles for the PGP would allow you to match them to just about anything, including MP Rotators.

DEM

Friday, May 7th 2010, 6:03pm

Great. I will look into this.

Thanks again for your help!