You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rick1

Unregistered

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 9:53am

Update 10 Year Old System for Fertigation

I am an old seasoned consumer who has previousy installed and used Rain Bird products on a 1/2 acre lot, using the original Rainbird T-Bird units I gat from Lowes. Had house 7 years with NO regrets! System never had any problems. System used 6 stations of 6 heads each operating at 45 - 55 PSI at 15 GPM. No leaks (from seals), no stops (from insufficient pressure), no non-pop -ups(always poped up). Sold house and moved on.

The house we just purchased has a Hunter System installed professionally. It is irrigating 2 acres, with 7 zones, 7 - 8 heads each. I am running 50-60 PSi at 25 GPM using Hunter PGP heads. I have replaced at least 7 heads because of the puddling by each head. I am chasing my tail! After I fix one head that was leaking (now it's not) a new head starts leaking. I know the pressure is just going to the weakest link; but this is rediculous. My whole reason for fixing the system is so that each zone has even rainfall; no dry spots, no saturated spots because of stopped heads.

So before I can buy a fertigation system which I have decided to do, I need to replace ALL the rotors with NEW. I am thinking the Rainbird 5500 because it appears to be the newest and BEST! I don't think I trust Hunter with the I-20. Seals should not all be bad in 10 years. My 7 year old - T-Birds - old generation rotors NEVER had leaky seals. I'm assuming the T-20's have the same Hunter flaw. But the 5500 doesn't appear to have the self draining valve or the SS stems. I want the best; do it once and have it work for 20 years. I also am contemplating adding an additional acre of land that was left off the present system. The Rain Bird also seems to have the best "Smart Controller" where you can add modules have it go online and check the weather etc. Nothing else seems as good? Am I wrong? I would like to purchase all my upgrades with Evergreen.

One other point; I couldn't find where Evergreen offered the Rainbird 5004UPG which sounds like Rainbird has their act together knowing Hunter's flaw, but I'm not sure I will be happy with the 5004? Am I being too "persnickety"?
Thanks for any help!

rick1

Unregistered

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 1:08pm

Upgrade System

It's me Rick1.

I meant Sprinker Wearhouse to purchase everything if it's possible!

Thanks!

Rick1

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 8th 2010, 10:04am

No one company has the best of everything. Hunter always has had a superior gear-drive mechanism, but it was Rainbird that had the patent on the wiper seal that gave such good results for popping down and not leaking when popped up.

-

One thing that will kill most any sprinkler head, is being set too deep in the ground, especially when the soil is sandy.