You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

WS-1

Sunday, May 9th 2010, 4:29pm

Problem with Irritrol Jr Max

Greetings,

My Irritrol Jr Max four zone controller isn't working. The control panel is flashing 24v; I've double checked all circuit wiring. Testing with a voltmeter shows 17.xx volts without a load, and the class 2 transformer shows a rated output of 24 volts. I can get one of the zones to run in manual mode sometimes, but there is no ryhme or reason as to when it will or won't run. When the zone runs, the circuit also shows the same 17.xx volts. I've also tried resetting via the electronic fuse to no avail. The owners manual states that the 24v indication will flash during a power outage, and if equipped with a 9v back up battery, will stop flashing when power resumes. Is my fix as simple as a new class 2 transformer, or is there something else going on here. The entire system is five years old, thanks.

WS-1

Monday, May 10th 2010, 6:36pm

Okay, Irritrol customer service said the transformer is definately bad, so I went to Radio Shack for an appropriate replacement. Get it wired up, same thing, no joy. Did a hard reset, nothing. Atleast Radio Shack let me return the transformer after cutting the supplied pigtail end off. I'm starting to think the entire control unit is bad????

mrfixit

Monday, May 10th 2010, 9:16pm

I hate to see you buy a new controller then have the same problem still.

I've never seen a Jr. Max installed but I want you to try something.

Disconnect all the valve wires from the controller. Take out the back up battery. Press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds. Unplug for 5 minutes. Plug it back in. How's it look?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 6:03am

the transformler could be temporarily connected directly to one of the zones - if the zone turns on, then the controller is the culprit

WS-1

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 3:53pm

mrfixit: unplugged everything, all power, wiring, back-up 9v battery, let it sit a while; reinstalled with same results. Wet_Boots, tried your suggestion and all the zones run when connected directly to transformer power. I took a quick look on ebay and found the same unit new for only $25; I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for, I wonder if these Jr. Max units are low quality? I only have three zones, hate to buy a more expensive unit, most of which are equipped to run many zones. Thanks for the replys, any suggestions on a new controller?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 12th 2010, 1:52pm

with only 3 zones, you can use a Hunter Pro-C controller, which comes with three zones (and room to add modules to run additional zones) - that gives you modern programming options and the ability to work with Hunter rain and weather sensor units.

giorgos

Sunday, September 19th 2010, 10:24am

Irritrol Junior MAX controller flashing 24V

I have the same problem with WS1.
I have a junior Max Irritrol controller using 3 zones. It is 3 years old and it has worked well up to now.

It is spring time again here in South africa and I noticed that the 24V indicator is flashing and the controller will not work.
I reset the unit, re-program it but still the 24V keeps on flashing. The 9 volt battery is good.
I have checked the 24v AC power with a voltage meter, it is about 26 V AC which should be fine.
Any more ideas what the problem can be ?
there is no mention of such problem on the operating instructions booklet. Do Irritrol have an email to ask a technical question ?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "giorgos" (Sep 19th 2010, 10:39am)

Bird3345

Unregistered

Friday, September 24th 2010, 1:56pm

Just buy a hunter xc it is about 60 dollars(american).

giorgos

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 11:09am

Irritrol Junior MAX controller flashing 24V

I have managed to repair the Irritrol junior max controller. The problem was just 2 dry joints along the 24 volt line.
This is caused by internal overheating which softens the soldering in the nearby tracks.
best advise I can offer is 'switch off the supply to the 24v transformer if the controller is not going to be used for a prolonged period'
By the way, after contacting the local suppliers with the original problem, they offered me a replacement unit free of charge, so I will stick with Irritrol for many, many more years

NewerMember

Unregistered

Sunday, May 15th 2011, 12:08am

RE: Irritrol Junior MAX controller flashing 24V

I have managed to repair the Irritrol junior max controller. The problem was just 2 dry joints along the 24 volt line.
This is caused by internal overheating which softens the soldering in the nearby tracks.
best advise I can offer is 'switch off the supply to the 24v transformer if the controller is not going to be used for a prolonged period'
By the way, after contacting the local suppliers with the original problem, they offered me a replacement unit free of charge, so I will stick with Irritrol for many, many more years

Rate this thread