You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Boone

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 11th 2010, 8:43pm

Valve's going hay-wire

I Installed a 6 zone sprinkler system. All zone's have great pressure, System worked fully upon job completion. 5 days later zone 5 stopped turning on. I figured a dirty valve, I took it apart and cleaned it, ran the sytem all zones came on as they were supposed to from the timer.

Next day, Zone 5 again is not coming on, turned it on manually. On it's next cycle towards the end of the day zone 5 came on, however, zone 4 didn't come on.

Zone 4 up to now has always come on. Could the wiring be messed up? Or is it just coencidence, and I just need to clean the valve for zone 4 now also.

I have another question, What will happen if I run two hot wires (red) to a valve? Would the valve still come on?
Would the controller break?
I am concerned that I may have screwed up the wiring as my wire was not color coded. :huh:

Boone

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 12th 2010, 9:12am

mark the wires and figure out what is going where - I hope the common wire isn't the same color as the zone wires.

Me again

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 12th 2010, 2:15pm

Unfortunately I had an idiot helping me install this system. The guy ran out of red wire and spliced white wire to extend the length of the red wire for the 5th zone and he did the same thing up by the clock for 2 other zones. Since I can't narrow down the wire to find out if its a wiring issue, can you tell me what happens if two commons or two hot wires are run to the same sylanoid? Wouldn't the valve not come on, or wouldn't the clock display an error. This is what leads me to believe that I did wire it up correct with what I was given to work with, and ultimately leads me to believe that the valves may just need to be cleaned. What threw me off was that I cleaned valve # 5, this fixed the problem and then the next day I was having the same problem with the valve not coming on.

Regards,

Boone

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 13th 2010, 10:01am

You could have bad field splices, which will give intermittent problems. Electrical measurements will tell you the story. Resistance measurements first, then current measurements for the most accurate picture.