You are not logged in.

HoHoHops

Friday, May 21st 2010, 11:19am

Manifold/Valves under water

Hello,
I hope I'm posting this in the correct section, but my issue has to do with one of my manifold boxes. It is completely submerged in water. I know it isn't a leaking valve or anything sprinkler related because I previously dug out the manifold/valves and let it sit for a week to make sure nothing was leaking. I have 4 in-line valves in this manifold. My question is, is it possible to raise/elevate the valves by adding a 90 degree tee and like a 8" extension without messing up water flow/pressure? Basically the valves would be at ground level instead of underground.

Thanks in advance for any/all help. (I can attach pictures if needed).

mrfixit

Friday, May 21st 2010, 12:11pm

You could raise your valves 20 feet and it's not going to help with the leak. I hate to see you settling or raising the valves out of the box and living with the leak.

You'll have minimal pressure loss by doing what you've suggested. Can I guarantee your sprinklers will still have enough pressure to run? NO.. The odds are in your favor though. Should be ok. I think you lose 2-3 lbs per elbow if I remember correctly.

Back to the leak. With inline valves you're not getting backflow into the box. You've determined it's not the manifold or the valves. So the leak is either on the mainline somewhere or you have a break in a lateral line/sprinkler line.

Maybe hire a pro to determine where the leak is coming from. You can still save money by fixing it yourself once you know what's up.

HoHoHops

Friday, May 21st 2010, 12:21pm

Mrfixit,
Thanks for your suggestion. What's causing the water accumulation is that the box is at the bottom of a slope...not a very big slope but a slope nonetheless. So the water is basically draining and accumulating in the box. I've thought about relocating the box to higher ground but I'd have to tunnel under a sidewalk which I'm not sure I want to do!

Thanks again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 22nd 2010, 11:37am

Just make sure the wire connections are waterproofed. Zone valves could spend years under water and no big deal.