You are not logged in.

ajkr711

Starting Member

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 1:14pm

Lots of Water Around Heads

I recently discovered that around a couple of the heads in my system, there is a significant amount of water (almost burying the head entirely) that builds up when that zone is turned off. The zone is made up of 10 spray heads and the one with lots of water is the end head in the zone, where the grade starts to slope downward towards the back yard.

My first thought was that it was a problem with the head. I changed the head and that didn't appear to be the problem. All of the heads in the zone work well (except the fact that all of them don't go down all the way, but those probably have some dirt in there) and the pressure is good throughout the whole system.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, I have only been able to find one valve box and that one is right next to the vacuum breaker. Any suggestions as to how to find the others?

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 1:31pm

It's definitely a valve problem. Water can't get to those heads unless it gets past the valve. So you have a leak through the valve coming out the lowest heads on the line. Most likely something's wrong with the diaphragm. On occasions there are pits/pit on the seat or a small crack.

As far as finding the valve the easiest way is to use a wire locator. First you should do a thorough search. Follow the wires. Poke around with a screwdriver in a logical spot. Have someone turn on and off the controller and see if you can hear the valve. Possibly the clicking of the solenoid.

Good luck!