You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MIKE1001

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 10:02am

NEED RECCOMENDATION FOR VALVES/CONTROLLER

I would like to automate my system and would appreciate your reccomendations for valves and a controller. I have a 4 zone system using 1 1/2 inch pipe from a 1.5hp pump. The pump is serviced by an artesian well. I need 1 1/2 inch valves plus a controller to turn the pump on and off. I am worried about dead head pressure so the valves need to be open before the pump turns on or about the same time. Also the pump should be off as the valves are closing. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 4:31pm

You don't depend on a controller and valves to do exactly what you expect them to do. If you have a deep well with a submersible pump, you have a pressure relief valve installed. A pressure switch and tank would leave you with zero worries about what controller and valves are doing.

MIKE1001

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 5:55pm

Thanks Wet_Boots. My existing set up uses an above ground "irrigation pump." The kind you see at Home Depot. It is simply an on/off switch that I cut on when I open the manual valves. There is no pressure switch or tank as this does not service the house. I was hoping to avoid those items if possible. The well is a 4" artesian with a natural 12# pressure at the pump inlet. I was hoping for a controller that cuts the pump on at the same time or just prior to the start of the valves opening.

Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 2nd 2010, 6:15am

So, not exactly a deep well. Outside of a pressure relief valve, I don't know what to recommend, for a home-center pump, which is probably plastic. There are thermal devices which can monitor pump temperature and shut it down if need be. Don't worry too much about the controller.

jerlands

Tuesday, June 8th 2010, 12:29pm

I know the ESP Modularhas pump start that will supply power only when a station is on. I've heard Hunter makes the better residential valves but if you google for "1 1/2 inch irrigation valves" or the like you'll find other options.

Jon