You are not logged in.

Sunday, June 6th 2010, 5:36pm

Hunter valve will not operate with controller

Hi all,

I am new to fixing these things (since it has worked flawlessly for the last 4 yrs) The controller is a Hunter SRC Plus and the valves are Hunter PRV's the system is a five valve system. I noticed that zone was not coming on and the controller is displaying S ERR after the system runs through a cycle. I first checked the zone I am having problems with by selecting this zone to run by itself individually. When I select this via the dial on the controller I can here what sounds like the sprinkler heads getting ready to pop up but then nothing. I have tried this again and I can get the heads to come on but they only stay on for a few seconds and then go back down and will try to pop up a few more times but it will never run the full cycle. I have also opened the valve box located this zone's valve and have turned the solenoid a quarter turn and the zone comes on perfect. There is also a little (what looks like a set screw) that if I turn a small turn will turn on that zone as well. Doing this via the valve in the box tells me the zone is getting water. Is there a way to determine if it is the controller not telling the valve to work properly or is it the valve itself that needs something? All other zones and valves work fine and the controller operates those valves fine. Could it be the solenoid or is it the entire valve itself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Chris

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, June 7th 2010, 8:46am

Is the problem on zone 5?

The instruction manual ( http://www.hunterindustries.com/Resources/PDFs/Owners_Manuals/Domestic/lit185w.pdf ) says the controller will display a zone number followed by ERR when it detects there is a wiring problem (such as a short circuit). That could mean there is something wrong with the selinoid, the wire connections to the selinoid (there's where to start), or the wire has been damaged somewhere.

Monday, June 7th 2010, 11:58am

Yes the problem is on zone 5 but the display is not displaying the zone number along with the error. That is why I don't know if the problem is in the valve / solenoid or the controller. Can a controller get screwed up and operate normally on all four other zones but be messed up on just one, or should I suspect the valve / solenoid as the culprit? Unless I mistaking the "S" as a display indicating zone 5? A 5 and an S do look similar now that I think about it.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, June 7th 2010, 4:38pm

Yes the problem is on zone 5... A 5 and an S do look similar now that I think about it.

Obviously that's what I was thinking given what you were saying and what I could quickly find in the owners manual. I'll admit exactly what you were saying and what I read in the owners manual didn't match exactly, it SOUNDS like to me there is a problem with the wiring on zone 5 and the controller is trying to tell you so.

If I am right, the quickest way I can think to confirm the diagnosis is to swap the wires on the controller between zone 4 and zone 5. If there is something wrong with the wire, then zone 5 program should be able to properly control "real" zone 4, and zone program 4 should show a message of "4 ERR".

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "HooKooDooKu" (Jun 7th 2010, 4:51pm)

Marcel

Unregistered

Saturday, June 19th 2010, 11:36am

SRC Hunter sprinler doesn't turn on.

The controller is a Hunter SRC and the valves are Hunter PRV's the system is a four valve system. All zones don't work. I first checked the zone I am having problems with by selecting this zone to run by itself individually. When I select this via the dial on the controller. I noticed that zone was not coming on and the controller is displaying that zone briefly (about 2 second then go back to diplay the time 12:00). I see the zone and the station display the running time about 2 sec but then nothing the display go back to display the time. I have also opened the valve box located this zone's valve and have turned the solenoid a quarter turn and the zone comes on perfect. Doing this via the valve in the box tells me the zone is getting water. Is there a way to determine if it is the controller not telling the valve to work properly or is it the valve itself that needs something? All other zones and valves have the same problem. Could it be bad ground the the controller itself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 20th 2010, 8:44am

Is there a rain detector? Be prepared to do some electrical testing (resistances of the wiring to the valves, as seen from the controller)