You are not logged in.

bigal54

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 6:54pm

Sprinklers work manually, but not by controller.

I have an old (at least 20 yrs.) rainbird sprinkler system with three valves. After working flawlessly for many years, the system stopped working last year. I can turn on any valve by using the bleed screw. When I turn the controller on, though, I can hear the solenoid click and I can hear water running in the valve, but the sprinklers will not come on. I have taken the valves apart, cleaned them, and have taken the solenoids off and cleaned out the solenoid hole. I have bought a new solenoid and tried it, but no change. I have switched solenoids and still no change. Someone in one of these threads said to check the resistance in the wires. Does anyone know exactly how to do this and what the ohm readings should be? I believe I have a 24-volt system. I have stripped the wires and reconnected them, but nothing has helped. My backflow valve has a slight leak (drips) in it. Any ideas out there? I have a feeling it is something simple and I want to exhaust all ideas before I have to hire a professional. Thanks for any help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 11th 2010, 7:55am

manually open a valve and confirm the water is actually flowing - this does not involve the controller

bigal54

Friday, June 11th 2010, 8:51pm

The sprinklers work fine if turned on manually by using the bleed screw. I checked the electricity to the solenoids today and it is fine and the solenoids are working properly. Today I also went to the local pipe supply shop and they could not figure out the problem either. I think I will order new diaphragms for these old valves and give that a try. If that doesn't work I will dig out and replace the three valves. Does anyone know where to buy older model rainbird diaphragms? I couldn't find them at rainbird.com Thanks.....

mrfixit

Saturday, June 12th 2010, 12:18am

Replacing the diaphragms should do it. There is one brass rainbird valve that has a tendency to get a clogged port. It's small and hard to see. You have to know where to look. Changing the diaphragm in this case wont help any.

Here's the valve I mentioned.

www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/valves/gb_series.htm

Here's some diaphragms.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-Replacement-Valve-Diaphragms-s/7369.htm

bigal54

Saturday, June 12th 2010, 2:29pm

Thank you. My rainbird is actually plastic, has a "horseshoe-shaped" solenoid, a bleed-screw in the center, and Glendora printed on the bonnet. From what I have read and from helpful advice like yours, I keep thinking there must be a clogged hole somewhere, but I have used a wire to poke in every possible hole and make sure they are clear. Thanks for the help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 13th 2010, 6:34am

Those are Hydro-Rain valves made for Rainbird, model HR-1 - Rainbird number EV-100

mrfixit

Sunday, June 13th 2010, 3:17pm

This diaphram will work if it's a HydroRain. The horseshoe shaped solenoid was/is a mystery to me. You might have to swap out the rubber and use the existing plastic parts of the diaphragm. But from the picture it looks right. Or you can go to a local supply house and get the whole thing with new plastic. The part number might be, R1359. That picture looks exactly like the one I have in my hand. I have a brand new old stock HydroRain sitting here I took apart and a pack of HR1 diaphragms. They look compatible.
www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-SPK-HR1-Repair-Kit-Irritrol-Richdel-HR1-p/spk-hr1.htm

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jun 13th 2010, 3:24pm)

Rate this thread