You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

SprinkerNewbie

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 11:02am

Could a valve replacement cause other valves to break?

Hello,

My drip system was no longer working and I had a company come out and determine that the valve needed to be replaced. Once this work was completed all three of the valves controlling the sprinkler system were broken. One stays on constantly and the two other zones come on for about 10 seconds each time randomly. Usually every 15-30 minutes.

I was told that other valves in a sprinkler system often break when one is replaced. Is this true? If so, why does this happen?

Thanks,

Kelly

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 2:10pm

No I don't think that's normal. Sometimes things do break right away but it's a coincidence. I had a main line burst one time while I was standing there talking to the home owner. I hadn't touched a thing yet.

Drip line is tricky. If there's not enough flow through the valve it may not shut off all the way or at all.

From my perspective you might want to find another sprinkler guy.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, June 18th 2010, 10:49pm

If the contractor got trash in the mainline while the valve was being replaced it could stick a valve open. This would happen right away. If a contractor replaced a valve he or she should have checked the entire system to make sure that none of the valves stuck open. I agree that coincidences are not that common in irrigation repair. The valves that aren't turning on or are irregular may be a separate issue or while the contractor was working on the other valve he or she may have cut or loosened the connection of the cable that go to the rest of the system and that could account for the irregular operation.

Good Luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup: