You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MrsFixit

Starting Member

Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 7:09pm

Replacing broken valve?

Our irrigation is knocking and I have been told by 2 companies that a valve needs to be replaced. I have a rainbird system and I am fairly handy, but have not had to do any more then replace sprinkler heads. The quotes we're 125.00-160.00 per head to replace and during the times in which we live in, I would like to save the cost if this is something easy to do myself. Does anyone know of a website that I can go to to show me step by step to replace this valve. In box # 1 two valves are attached, does this make it more difficult. Do I need to turn off the water at the main line to do this? Do I need to turn off any electricity to re-wire? Any help or suggestions would be really helpful.

Thank You,
Mrs. Fixit

regularguy

Starting Member

Friday, June 18th 2010, 9:47pm

Replacing a irrigation valve is not that difficult, although it sounds like you may have some other issues going on if your system is "knocking", I'm not sure what that means but you may want to give some more specifics on that. If the irrigation contractor is suggesting valve replacement because of water hammer and high water velocity they may be planning to replace the valves with a slower acting valve that may cut down on the "knocking", again more details are required.

Rate this thread