You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mlyttge

Saturday, June 19th 2010, 10:27pm

Replacing a valve that has galvanized pipe going into it

I tried replacing just the top portion and guts of a Rain Jet RJ711 with the updated RJ54000 and it leaked badly from the diaphram. It seem like although the RJ54000 replaces the RJ711, the inner parts are not interchangeable. I would like to change the whole valve if it wouldn't be too difficult.

The pipe going into the valve is galvanized and the pipe coming out of the valve is pvc. There is another valve too close to allow the valve to turn (and the house is pretty close too). If I cut both the galvanized and the pvc just below the old valve is it legit to glue a pvc fitting onto the galvanized pipe? The plan would be to screw the fittings onto the valve then glue the slip ends of fittings onto both the pvc and galvanized pipes. Any other suggestions are welcome if I'm approaching the project differently than a more experienced person would.

Thank you

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 20th 2010, 8:40am

Find some schedule 80 unions, and they will help you replace the valve ~ by the way, you can do a "guts" replacement on your old 711 valve by buying an Irritrol 205 valve www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-205SF-1-Slip-Electric-Valve-p/205sf.htm

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jun 20th 2010, 1:33pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, June 20th 2010, 1:45pm

I edited your link boots. It wasn't working. There's something wrong with the site. With the http:// on there the links don't work. If it's just me let me know. I don't have that issue anywhere else on the net.

--

Hey Mly, the valve might unscrew with the top half taken off. Most likely will. If not you could cut the valve with a saw so it will. Doing what boots suggested would be easier though. Buy a 205 valve. The parts are totally compatible.

mlyttge

Monday, June 21st 2010, 11:08am

So the 205SF is the one I want, even though its a not a siphon control?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 7:38am

Yep, the 205 valve is the only one available that can replace the working parts (and cover) of the old antisyphon valves.

mlyttge

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:18pm

Thanks for the advice.

I ordered those valves and they're working perfect. Thanks!

Rate this thread