You are not logged in.

BBates

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 11:48am

Sprinklers come on even in off position

Now, here's a really weird problem. I noticed my sprinkler was cycling on when the control panel was in the off position, so I unplugged it. The last few days, I've noticed my ground is quite damp in the morning (and we are having 100 degree days, so this shouldn't be happening). I could swear it's turning on even when it's unplugged! Is that even possible???? Could there be an electrical short that's allowing this to happen?

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 2:38pm

Thank you for this post. I have customers who tell me they swear the sprinklers watered or didn't water because of the wetness of the ground when they wake up. You've confirmed they don't have a clue if it came on or not because they didn't actually see anything happening or not happen. I had a guy the other day tell me he couldn't hear the water running when he got up in the middle of the night to pee. Well it was working fine and I told him to have his hearing checked.

I would venture to say since you've unplugged the controller there's no possible way that controller turned on your sprinklers.

I have a question. You say the sprinklers were cycling even though it's in the off position. Did you actually see this happening or are you judging it by the wetness of the ground? If you saw it happening then replace the controller. If not I'd wonder if it really watered.

BBates

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 9:10am

Sprinklers come on even in off position

Yes, I actually saw one of the stations watering while the controller was in the off position. After I posted that question yesterday, I called Rainbird and they confirmed that a faulty valve can trigger the sprinkler--even when it is unplugged. If it didn't come on at night after I unplugged it, then I'm hoping it's just the controller, because I don't mind leaving it unplugged until I need it. If it is coming on, even though it's unplugged, then it must be the valve as the Rainbird rep said. I put out pans last night and they were empty this morning. I'll try it another couple of nights and report back here.