You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

GUEST1111

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 1:45pm

replacement of irrigation values

I need to replace 2 inch values and 3 3/4 inch values. My question may sound a little dumb, but how do I get the pipes out of the old values. I know that they unscrew out, but do I need to screw the pipes in the ground out of the ground first, then attach the values and then screw the pipes back into the ground. I guess I am asking what sequence do I need to follow to do the replacement. And what issues do I need to look out for when I do this?

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 2:21pm

I need more information. Is it possible to attach a photo?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 5:01pm

Unless unions were used, when it comes to removing valves, it would seem that cutting pipe is required. After all, if the valve uses threaded connections and is installed in-line, if you try to turn the valve to loosen one threaded connection, you're going to be tightening the other. If the valves have been installed in just about any other configuration, there's no way to start unscrewing one of the two attachement points until the 1st attachement point is removed... and then you're back to the problem of if unions were not involved, you've got to cut a pipe somewhere.

The only other possible exception would be if a valve itself could be disassymboled to seperate the input side from the output side, but the few valves I've ever seen, the input/output are a part of a single body.

GUEST111

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 12:40pm

PICTURES

These are pictures of the valves in the backyard.
GUEST111 has attached the following files:

GUEST111

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 1:11pm

More Pictures

Here are more pictures, some of the front and some of the backyard values.

GUEST111

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 1:18pm

More Pictures

Some of front and some of backyard values. In the front there are 2 one inch values and one 3/4 inch value and in the back there are two 34/ inch values.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 2:13pm

None of your zip files worked. I can see from the two pictures posted that there's no digging required. Simply cut them off and glue new valves on. All you'll need is two male adapters for the valves unless you plan on making them taller. Then you'll need a couple of couplings.

GUEST111

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 10:15pm

Thanks

All of this sounds like I need to have a professional come in and do it for me, but thanks for the help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 7:30am

Why replace the valves, if the old ones can be repaired?

GUEST111

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 11:41pm

Cost

Just a final question, what should it cost to replace all five valves and check out the system? I got a quote for $475.00 from a licensed contractor. I live in So California if that makes a difference. Thanks.