You are not logged in.

mafugr

Starting Member

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 11:56am

Hunter head spaying water around the nozzle turret when up

I have Hunter sprinkler heads that have been working well for about 4 years. Last year I began seeing excessive water coming from around the head when the system is on and head is up. The water is coming out at the base of the turret when errect. It 's almost looks like the head is not screwed into the base housing tight enough. I have made sure that it is plenty tight. There are no cracks and the housing is not worped. Any ideas on what is wrong and how do I fix this without buying new heads? When the zone turns off and the next zone starts the heads go down and no water comes out. Works like it is supposed to. But then heads in the next zones have the same excess water issue. And this is not every head just half.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 7:24am

It's a failure of the wiper seal, and a common problem with some popup heads. Head replacement is the only sure sure. Install the new heads just a tad above grade, to keep dirt away from the seal area.

debo

Saturday, June 26th 2010, 8:12pm

It's a failure of the wiper seal, and a common problem with some popup heads. Head replacement is the only sure sure. Install the new heads just a tad above grade, to keep dirt away from the seal area.
Correct and Hunter, since I called says this is common in sandy areas and seals will not last long..Most time it is cheaper to install new head then replace....

Rate this thread