You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

giraff38

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 1:28pm

Sidewalk sprinklers in front of front yard with retaining walls

I have a retaining wall in my front yard, it raises 3 feet above the sidewalk. The sprinklers on the sidewalk is not working. How do I figure out which part of the system fail with all the concrete on the sidewalk, the retaining wall and the 30 feet of lawn from the valve to the retaining wall? If the pipes underneath the sidewalk or the section buried underneath the front yard and the retaining wall is broken, how do I go about fixing it? Is there a way to install a new sprinkler system without breaking the retaining wall? Do I have to dig down from thge front yard to reach the same level as the pavement before I tunnel through the sidewalk? Is there an easier way to fix this? How much would you think it will cost?

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 2:27pm

It sounds like you're thinking worst case scenario. I need a little more info. What makes you think there's something wrong with the pipe?

Do you see water flooding? Do the sidewalk sprinklers normally run at the same time as other sprinklers and now only part of them are working or do they normally run by themselves?

giraff38

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 2:42pm

I don't have a valve that controls the sprinklers but there are sprinklers sticking out from the sidewalk so there has to be something in place. There is no water coming out no matter which valve I turn on. I just moved into this house not long ago and the previous owner did not tell me anything about the sidewalk sprinklers.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 6:54pm

Since there are sprinklers out by the sidewalk it's possible there's a pipe going under already. Am i correct in assuming the wall is running parallel with the sidewalk and you think the front sprinklers have been abandoned due to the wall? Here's a trick for you. Hook the hose up to one of the sprinkler risers and see where it floods. There's your break. If the sprinklers work fine I'd suspect there's another valve somewhere. Here where I live on some of the older homes the valve for the sidewalk sprinklers is in the ground by the sidewalk.

Rate this thread