You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jim7

Starting Member

Monday, June 28th 2010, 9:45pm

Toro valve leaking

I have a six year old irrigation system; one of toro valves is leaking: Model 53682 with flow control, 1" in line valve. I replaced the diaphragm today but it still leaks. There are no pieces of dirt or debris in the valve. The tech at the local irrigation supply store said that the plastic white collar that fits below the diaphragm looks like it might have hairline cracks on it. It does have six uniform length slits on the collar equally spaced around the inner edge but I couldn't see any cracks. Are the slits the cracks? Would that cause the leak and the water to slowly come out of the sprinkler heads? They don't carry the white collar. Any idea where I can buy it?

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 29th 2010, 2:15am

Those slits/cracks probably aren't the problem. Yes they're cracks. I see those all the time. They don't seem to cause the valve to leak. Look at the seat very closely. Look for a hairline crack. Also look for an indentation on the seat.

On a rare occasion the controller will be putting out a weak signal to the valve 24 hours a day even when the controller is off causing the valve to seep water.

If you must you can buy the part at Hydroscape, Ewing, Greenmark, John Deere.

A sure fire way to determine if there's a crack in the seat is to change the entire top of the valve and leave the wire disconnected.

Rate this thread