You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HUDDADDY

Starting Member

Saturday, July 3rd 2010, 10:52am

Valve and System Problems

First time user. I have a 12 years old system that runs off lake water via a pump and lake filter. I have 5 valves. Last year the center valve/zone 4 ran constantly while any of the other zones operated. So if each zone ran for 5 minutes, zone 4 then ran for a total of 25 minutes. This spring everything started up fine but in the manner described above. After about 5 weeks of operation, zone 4 will not work at all and neither will any of the other zones as a result. Any ideas? I've got Hardie (looks like 2610T solenoid) Valves. Just reading through web material, I'm confused if I need new valves, just solenoids, or if it's completely something different. Thanks for any and all advice.

Wet Willie

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 5:13pm

RE: Valve and System Problems

The initial problem was that your zone 4 valve was stuck open. Either the solenoid plunger stuck in the retracted position or debris keeping it from seating. That's an easy fix: Start by shuting off the water and unscrewing the solenoid (grab it and turn it counter-clockwise), while taking care not to damage the two black wires, until it comes off. The plunger should move freely throughout its travel - if not, clean it out and reinstall. If that fails to correct the situation, remove the four screws holding on the diaphram bonnet. The diaphram should be clean with no cracks or holes and seal nicely all the way around - if not, clean or replace as necessary. That WAS the initial problem - read on.

During the off months something changed. Check these things, in this order:

1. When controller demands water, does the pump motor run and pump ? If so, go to 2. If not check circuit breaker/fuse to the pump motor; wireing to the motor; check the pump itself for damage or clogging.

2. If the pump is pumping (or trying to), only two reasons no zone valves fire - no water or no power. So, either the main water line is busted or no power (electricity) to the valves. You can determine which by manually opening a valve while the pump is running to verify water. If power to the valves is the problem, check the common (usually white) wire at the last zone valve (or the zone furthest from the controller). With the zone set to "ON" or "MAN" at the controller, use a multimeter to check for power (24 or 120 volts AC) common ~ color wires. If you have power there you will have potential power to all. If no power there go back to the controller and check each connection (starting where the common and color wires connect to the controller "zones") through the last zone. Simply repair the bad connection when you get to it. :thumbsup:

If you have water and fire at the valves and it still doesn't work: Take two asprin and check it in the morning. :sleeping:

First time user. I have a 12 years old system that runs off lake water via a pump and lake filter. I have 5 valves. Last year the center valve/zone 4 ran constantly while any of the other zones operated. So if each zone ran for 5 minutes, zone 4 then ran for a total of 25 minutes. This spring everything started up fine but in the manner described above. After about 5 weeks of operation, zone 4 will not work at all and neither will any of the other zones as a result. Any ideas? I've got Hardie (looks like 2610T solenoid) Valves. Just reading through web material, I'm confused if I need new valves, just solenoids, or if it's completely something different. Thanks for any and all advice.

Rate this thread