You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 7:58am

Manual control for hose watering?

I have a small creek that I want to pump from. Before anyone asks - yes, I have checked and am allowed to pump. It is about 80' elevation below my yard. There isn't enough flow for a regular sprinkler system for the parts of the year when it is really needed so I want to put in a small pump for drip irrigation and manual hose watering. I am comfortable wiring up the pump and pump relay, etc. What I am wondering about is the best way to make this easy to operate and hard to damage by others in the family. I hadn't planned any expansion tank. Want to protect against shut off outlet. Since I will have a check valve could I just use a standard pressure switch to shut off the pump when the pressure is high and set that a bit below the blocked outlet pressure? Low water and sucking air is a lesser possibility but would be good to protect against if practical.

Also wondering about how regular sprinkler valves will work on low pressure. Would like to use this supply for the drip zones of my irrigation system. What is the minimum pressure for regular zone valves to work reliably? I may only have 10 - 20 PSI at the yard.

I have a pump I was going to place near the creek. This would require about 250 feet of wirng. Due to terrain this will be difficult to make to code. I have considered a jet pump which would allow me to place the pump at the top. I know this would be inefficient but running poly pipe would be much easier and cheaper. Is this worth considering? If so, where can I find more information?

I have thought about pumping to a large storage tank and using that with a larger pump for regular sprinklers but that is a much bigger project. If that happens at all it will be in the far future...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 9:18am

Go right ahead and plan for an expansion tank. A pressure tank and a pressure switch creates an on-demand pumping system. If this will feed drip irrigation, you will require filtration to prevent the emitters from clogging. A shallow-well jet pump is ideal for this sort of thing, because it will generate enough pressure to operate sprinkler heads, but not enough pressure to burst pipes if something goes wrong. You also want a pressure relief valve at the pump, for backup protection.