You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jas0420

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 11:33am

Small strips + MP Rotators

Hi all,

I'm contemplating replacing the Toro fixed spray heads in a couple of zones with MP Rotators and try to correct some coverage issues in the process. I have a couple of sections of yard that I haven't quite been able to design an elegant solution for.

Wanted to know if the MP rotator strip heads can be dialed down any below the 4 ft wide swaths in the spec sheets? I have about 40 ft of grass that is in a 2 ft wide section of lawn running parallel to the road with a sidewalk seperating it from the main part of the lawn. The original installer threw in a few Toro strip sprays and just cranked down the flow to where they're barely putting anything out. Coverage is pretty weak. Trying to figure out if I replace the rest of the heads in these two zones with MP rotators if I can do any better than I've already got.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 11:47am

You don't dial down strip heads to cover a narrower width. Unfortunately, there aren't any modern replacements for brass strip-spray nozzles of yesteryear, that came in sizes for one-foot and two-foot and three-foot strip widths.

-

Now there is a special Toro strip-spray nozzle for covering a 2x6 strip (2SST) - you would need about 8 of them to cover a 40-foot long strip. They use such a small amount of water, that you have to employ an auxiliary stainless-steel nozzle screen with them, to ensure they don't clog up right away.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Jul 6th 2010, 11:53am)

jas0420

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 1:51pm

Ah ha!

Many thanks 'Boots! Those are what I had been looking for. I may have to re-think my mp rotator idea though. The 2SST's precip rate is 2-3X the rotators, so they wouldn't play very nice together (not that I was expecting them to, just hoping).

Unfortunately, this is about the worst place in my yard to think about pulling another zone to. Maybe I should just pave the strips. :P On the other hand, those do have a verrrrry low flow rate, so I wouldn't exactly be spewing water into the street (and might still be better off than now in that regard). I'm in Texas, so being surrounded by concrete does make these little strips bake most of the summer. If there were a section of yard that I was consciously putting too much water on, that would be the one I would feel the least bad about.... But I'm trying to justify a bad design, I know.

Regardless, thanks again for pointing me to those!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 3:21pm

If you are patient and resourceful, you might get your hands on some special nozzles Toro stopped making some years back. It had four individually adjustable sections that could supply up to a quarter circle, spraying up to 15 feet. Open one section just a smidge, and you have an end strip of sorts. Open two opposite sections, and you get a center strip. and no, I don't know the part number.

-

If you really want to be hard core with a perfect solution, install subsurface drip in the strip.

jas0420

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 4:06pm

I actually just ordered some dripline & associated parts this morning to retrofit about half of the beds in the yard (only wanted to kill half of it if things go wrong!). I spent quite a bit of time researching and it definitely caught my eye that it was technically possible to install it under sod. Visions of me tearing up the whole yard started dancing through my head. Realistically, I did wonder about it for this though... If I could mooch off of the existing zones, that is a much more reasonable amount of trenching to contemplate. I actually just re-sodded one of these three strips about 3 months ago. Wish I had thought about fixing the problem then instead of slapping a BandAid on. I may just have to give this a try on the smaller strip if I have some leftovers from the bed project.

I'm going to try out a few of the SSTs first though... that's definitely more in line with the amount of effort I was hoping to put into all of this. ;)