You are not logged in.

Joesue7

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 7:34am

Red Nozzle - different designs

Folks, I am new to the forum. I have been fortunate to have a very well designed and professionally installed sprinkler system that has worked great for 15+ years. I have the sytem winterized by the same company every year. I have been doing the broken head/sunken head replacement myself of the the past 10 years. I have 4 rotors/zone with a #6 (2 holes in the face of the nozzle) with a 2.7 GPM flow at 50psi. I just noticed that some red #6 nozzles only have one hole and a different flow rates. Where can I get the 2 hole nozzles. My perception is that they perform better. Thanks for listening to my question. I have been using the Big Box retailer to buy the heads. (my bad). Joe

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 9:51am

You can't get the old-style nozzles anymore. The molds they were made in no longer exist. Re-use the originals. It isn't so much the flows not being matched, so much as the one-hole designs were less prone to clogging, along with adding a bit more close-in coverage (this change coincides with Rainbird introducing their Rain Curtain nozzles) ~ Oddly enough, there is a way to obtain more of these nozzles, if you must, and that is by buying a Signature rotor, that is the Nelson version of the PGP. The Nelson nozzles copied the original red PGP nozzles.

Joesue7

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 6:42am

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 1:06pm

You won't be the last person to notice the difference. The old styles will spray further on various sizes, at certain pressures, and that can make replacement a problem.

Rate this thread