You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jzdnyp

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 8:39am

sprinkler heads to low

since we installed our system 4 years ago the lawn has matured to the point that the heads are under the lawn a good 2 to 3". Some heads where hard to find this spring. I think this is allowing dirt into the head and trashing the seals. most of my heads are leaking. just bought replacements. is there a way to add a 2" male/female adaptor or something to help raise up the heads?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 9:55am

Put the heads on swing joints.

jzdnyp

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 10:16am

I have 13 zones. I dont want to dig up each head

jzdnyp

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 12:00pm

I found what I need if any one cares its called a 6" poly riser and you cut it off at the length you need....... :)

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 12:10am

I have 13 zones. I dont want to dig up each head

If you use the swing joints, you will have less of a chance of breaking a pipe or sprinkler head if a head is subject to abuse. A swing joint will 'give' and flex wher your adjustable riser probably wont.

You asked for a solution to your problem. Boots gave you a professional installers solution to your problem that will same time and money in the long run.

If you have thirteen zones, I'm betting that you have a sizable property with three to four rotors per zone. This means that you probably have a lawn service company maintaining your property or you have a riding mower. Large mowers riding over heads, or people walking on heads that aren't installed properly make me money.

You will still have to dig up the heads to install your risers, why not do it properly to start with?

Good luck

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 9:16pm

You could also use a 3/4" fpt X 3/4" mpt bushing. Each one will raise a head approximately 1". If you need to raise it more than that, screw two together. The nice thing about these is that you only have to dig down to the fitting the head is screwed onto, rather than digging a larger hole to accomodate the flexible swing pipe.

Make sure that if you go this route, that you teflon tape all threads. They are a white PVC fitting and must be taped. I am assuming that you are trying to raise rotors, so the 3/4" will work for them. Menards also sells 1/2" versions for spray heads.

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 9:00am

You could also use a 3/4" fpt X 3/4" mpt bushing. Each one will raise a head approximately 1". If you need to raise it more than that, screw two together. The nice thing about these is that you only have to dig down to the fitting the head is screwed onto, rather than digging a larger hole to accomodate the flexible swing pipe.

Yeah, do it that way because it's easier. Then, when someone steps on the head, and breaks it, you will have to dig a trench five times bigger to replace the broken fitting because there isn't any 'give' in the flex joint that you don't have.

The old way of installing heads was to have the T-fitting verticle and connect it to the head with a nipple.

The two biggest problems with this, was that you had to get have a collection of nipples to get the proper height of the head to the surface of the turf or garden, and nipples aren't adjustable. Either nipples, heads, or the pipe will break when someone stemps on the head, or from the forces of the earth moving the head to the side.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 9:13am

You could also use a 3/4" fpt X 3/4" mpt bushing.

I've never seen a 3/4" fpt X 3/4" mpt bushing before. How do you make a bushing that has the same size threads on the inside as the outside? All of the bushings that we have in Canada are reducing in size.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 5:09pm

Forgive my terminiology. It is actually referred to as a Riser Extension.

Not really sure why you're attacking this fix? Either they installed the heads on swing pipe or they used a riser. In either case, both will allow for some "Give". However, in my experience, a riser will provide a more rigid connection keeping the head from becoming crooked more easily. However, the soft plastics used in todays risers have enough give to avoid being "snapped off" under even the heaviest of loads. It's still crucial with any form of connection (swing pipe, riser, or other) that the head is installed at the proper depth.

The PVC nipple installs are definitely not a good idea. Much too rigid with very little adjustability.

Rate this thread