You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bww

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 9:06am

A few newbie questions

This forum has been very helpful for a newbie like me to even try to do sprinkler work instead of hiring someone....thanks.

Well I have been working on my sprinkler system (adding a zone and some new heads). I have some questions that I just haven't figured out.

1. I installed a new valve and the instructions said use teflon tape 3 to 5 wraps. Does that mean 3 - 5 wraps around each thread or 3 - 5 wraps around the entire thread body which would mean some threads would have less than 3 - 5 wraps?

2. After install the valve I turned on the main water. Should I have the valve open as I turn on the water to release pressure as you do when you leave a faucet open after turning main water back on?

3. I used primer and glue to put all the pipes together. On the can of glue (Christys Red Hot Blue Glue) it said to coat pipe twice but since I was using primer should I have coated with primer then just one good coat of glue?

I know these are pretty basic questions but I would like to know the right way of doing this. Thanks

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 12:46pm

Don't bother with having the tape follow the threads, wrap the tape around the threads as if the threads were not there. I would suggest 5 wraps (as other sites I've read has suggested as many as 7 wraps because most tape is so thin today). Something I find that helps prevent leaks is to pre-seat the tape before you connect the pipe. Basically, take a towel, a piece of cloth, or your shirt and put it in your hand and make a loose fist. Then screw the taped pipe into the hole of your fist. The idea is to help push some of the tape down in-between the threads. Then after you've pre-seated the tape in the pipe threads, screw the two pieces of pipe together.

As for turning on the valve, I don't know that it makes much of a difference. Obviously you will need to get the air out of the pipes as some point. If it isn't while the main valve is open, it will be when you run the system the 1st time. I usually turn the main valve on and run each zone for about one minute to get all the air out of the whole system.

The instructions on the "glue" I've used is to 1st use the primer and let the primer dry. Once the primer is dry, apply a coat of "glue" to the outside of the pipe and a light coat of glue to the inside of the fitting. Immediately connect the pipes giving them at least a 1/4 turn. Then hold the connection for about 30 seconds to give the "glue" a chance to catch hold so that the pipe/fitting don't try to come back apart. The other thing I've learned is that as the "glue" cures, the pipe will try to twist back (opposite the direction of your 1/4 turn).

bww

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 8:00pm

Thank you soooooooo much, that is exactly what I wanted to learn. I have to admit I put this valve on 3 times before it didn't leak (the third time I did what you suggested and it has been fine). I was not putting enough tape on the first two times but now I know the way to do it (especially the pushing of the tape down into the threads).

Thanks again for your help.

Rate this thread