You are not logged in.

rrrranch

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 7:00pm

MP Rotars full of junk- need to replace

We use lake water to water our yard. My MP rotators were a bad idea as the little screen is constanting full of matter even after coming through a fine filter.. What can I replace these with on the same spacing that will blow out most matter

El Toro

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 8:04pm

RE: MP Rotars full of junk- need to replace

Do you have a holding tank where sediments can settle and be drained from the bottomof the tank? Same idea as a hot water heater cleaning valve. Secondary problem would be algae, which could be treated with chlorine or bleach in the holding tank. Easy on the chlorine, since it attacks PVC piping. I have used a couple of filters (2-3) in decreasing mesh size ahead of the valves/spray heads, so only have to service the main line filters and not the spray head masses. Put in a pressure gauge before the in-line filters and after the filters. If you are seeing a 10 psi or so drop, across the in-line filters, time for servicing.

rrrranch

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 8:46pm

MP Rotator full of junk

Yes, I have a large 10,000 gallon tank and will drain it. Prefer to change to a less sensitive head.. I can blow 40 psi easy

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 1:04am

Before Hunter purchased MP Rotator from the Wala Wala Company, Wala Wala had a green larger mesh filter that was used for these type of problems. I'm not sure if they still make them, but it might be worth asking your supplier if they can get them for you.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 1:21am

RE: MP Rotars full of junk- need to replace

We use lake water to water our yard. My MP rotators were a bad idea as the little screen is constanting full of matter even after coming through a fine filter.. What can I replace these with on the same spacing that will blow out most matter

It's hard to recommend a product if we don't know what you're using now. MP1000, 2000, or 3000?

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

rrrranch

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 7:18pm

RE: RE: MP Rotars full of junk- need to replace

Mike they would be the gray top or the 300 for the farthers distance

It's hard to recommend a product if we don't know what you're using now. MP1000, 2000, or 3000?

Mick

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 11:47pm

MP3000 pumps out 3.6 GPM at 40psi. If that is working for you, and the heads are popping and reachin the thirty feet, you can pretty much use any other head as long as you keep under 3.6 GMP. The pop-up heads that the MP3000's are in, most likely have a 1/2" female threaded base. The easiest replacement would be something that would also have the same base. Something along the line of K-Rain MiniPro. A MiniPro will give you 3.0 GPM at 40psi and still give you your 30 feet.

If it was me, I would go for a dirty water head. Something that lets a lot more water and debrie flow through the nozzle. The only problem is that if your system was designed for MP Rotators, you might have too many of them on each zone to replace them with these impact heads.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-2045A-SAM-Maxi-Paw-Seal-A-Matic-Rotor-p/2045a-sam.htm

MP Rotator chart www.hunterindustries.com/products/mprotator/

K-Rain MiniPro Precipitation Chart www.trustedpartner.com/docs/library/000060/rotors_minipro_precip.pdf

K-Rain MiniPro www.trustedpartner.com/docs/library/000060/rotors_minipro_techinfo.pdf

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Fireguy97" (Jul 14th 2010, 11:55pm)

rrrranch

Monday, July 19th 2010, 5:41pm

Question for Mik

Mik

Why cant I just close off some of those mp 3000 zones and use the maxi paw's

RRR Ranch

MP3000 pumps out 3.6 GPM at 40psi. If that is working for you, and the heads are popping and reachin the thirty feet, you can pretty much use any other head as long as you keep under 3.6 GMP. The pop-up heads that the MP3000's are in, most likely have a 1/2" female threaded base. The easiest replacement would be something that would also have the same base. Something along the line of K-Rain MiniPro. A MiniPro will give you 3.0 GPM at 40psi and still give you your 30 feet.

If it was me, I would go for a dirty water head. Something that lets a lot more water and debrie flow through the nozzle. The only problem is that if your system was designed for MP Rotators, you might have too many of them on each zone to replace them with these impact heads.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-2045A-SAM-Maxi-Paw-Seal-A-Matic-Rotor-p/2045a-sam.htm

MP Rotator chart www.hunterindustries.com/products/mprotator/

K-Rain MiniPro Precipitation Chart www.trustedpartner.com/docs/library/000060/rotors_minipro_precip.pdf

K-Rain MiniPro www.trustedpartner.com/docs/library/000060/rotors_minipro_techinfo.pdf

Mick

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 11:04pm

RE: Question for Mik

Why cant I just close off some of those mp 3000 zones and use the maxi paw's

There is nothing stopping you from closing off some rotators and using Maxi paws. Be aware that if you don't get head to head coverage you are risking brown spots and uneven coverage.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 5:13pm

Just for the heck of it try some RAINBIRD rotary nozzles,they are just like mp's,except they work better,and they throw more water more evenly. They come in preset angles,and they do have screens also. The streams are bigger so maybe you could use them without the filter on them,depending on particle size that is. Its not a huge difference but they do put out more water I believe. They never stop spinning,they spin faster,and they never get that heavy stream on the side like some mp's do. I really like them. Or you could just cap every other head and go with rainbird 3500 mini rotors, they are 1/2'' just like sprays so you dont need to swap elbows,these also work really well.