You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Normandy1

Unregistered

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 9:28pm

Timer

I need to replace my Rainbird RC timer which is hardwired with a transformer. Can I hardwire the newer Rainbird SST to this transformer?

It was an outdoor unit.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 16th 2010, 5:22am

You do know that RC controllers are still repairable. And you also know that the vast majority of solid state controllers employ a grounded power connection, which was not part of the RC construction.

normandy

Friday, July 16th 2010, 8:08pm

When my maintenance lawn person came by he said it was better to replace it for it was fairly old and several things needed to be changed ?( . Is it more reasonable to repair it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 9:09am

Replace nothing unless you personally know it needs replacing. The economics of controller repair (and the general lack of repair knowledge) make replacement easier than repairing. It does happen that Rainbird parts for this controller are still available. The controller itself has gone out of production.

-

You have still not stated just what the RC controller is doing, or not doing, that warrants replacement.

Normandy1

Unregistered

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 7:32pm

timer

Sorry I did not know where to start as far as the problems to the controller. The hour timer itself has stopped advancing. I can manually move the time and it will advance the day also. Once the control is activated it will advance through the zone cycle. The last time though it did not complete the cycle and stayed on each zone until I manually moved them. I can hear the clicking like a clock but no movement with time. Does this help in trying a diagnosis?

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 19th 2010, 9:57am

You need a new clock motor - Rainbird part number 622874 ~ that motor does two jobs, first it keeps the time of day, and second, it moves the large wheel through the timed watering. A second motor is what moves the large wheel from one zone to the next. A top-flight sprinkler repairman can change out your old timing motor without too much effort.

-

For people who live in areas with frequent lightning, these old motorized controllers are worth the effort to maintain.

normandy

Monday, July 19th 2010, 11:16pm

Thanks, I will look into it. Is it something quite difficult? I have inquired 2 separate times and the rec was to replace. I actually like the mechanical timer, pretty simple. We do not get much lightening thank goodness. I also noticed that there is a fuse in the diagram of the controller but I do not see one on my unit. Is it behind the transformer?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "normandy" (Jul 19th 2010, 11:34pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 7:35am

Indoor versions of the RC (RCBi) used a fuse instead of a circuit breaker. The rest is the same. Since there is no line voltage involved, and probably no soldering, it isn't a terribly difficult repair job.

Normandy 1

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 10:40am

Thanks.

How can I make sure that I only need the one motor and not both of the motors?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 9:03am

If the controller never moves on its own, no matter what you do, then possibly you might need both motors. Frankly, I doubt it.

Rate this thread