You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

zapper

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 11:45pm

Is Hunter rotors & rainbird mist heads any good

Greetings:
Hi new here as you can tell, my question is this is the Hunter Rotor and Rainbird mist heads pretty good???? thinking of getting a sprinkler system and most quotes are Hunter NEW to this, any suggestions will be appreciated learning as I go and will be hiring a company to do the job, what should I look for???? as far as the company and the equiptment installed.

Thanks

Ralph

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 5:02pm

Talk to friends, neighbors and relatives that live in your area. Find out who they use and like for an irrigation contractor. Find out why they use that contractor and how they found them. Don't go by lowest price only. Find someone that you like and can explain things to you. You might also want to talk to a local Irrigation supply house to find out the reputable contractors that are in your area. Find someone that is licensed and insured.

Hunter and RainBird products have been around for years. I don't use Hunter because it's not easy for me to get to that supply house. Irrigation Contractors use a variety of products from different manufacturers to customize your irrigation plan.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

zapper

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 7:30pm

Thanks for your info. had 4 quotes and down to 2 of them, one with 8 stations and only one year full warranty and the other 7 stations and a 3 year full warranty same price on both of them trying to get if they are going to work a little with me either the 8 station to add another year to his warranty and the other if he would drop his price by $200 or $100 and go from their.

Ralph

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 10:37am

Out of curiosity Ralph, why did you drop the first two contractors?

Did the last two contractors explain why one has seven zones, and the other has eight?

Are you looking for a quality install, or are you looking for the lowest price install?

Are both contractors using the same equipment for the proposed installations?

What services are you willing to live without for that contractor dropping his price $100 or $200?

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

zapper

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 1:30pm

Hi, Mick the first two contractors that I drop the bit was kind of low and it seems that they were not in service that long a matter of trust I guess, the 7 zones using Hunter rotors and controller and the 3 year warranty the other using Hunter rotors and mist except in the front by the sidewalk he stated that his opinion the rainbird are better in the front as mist thus he is putting 1 more rotor in the back and 15 more mist all together and will be using 8 zone double coverage and triple in most areas in business 30 years but mostly recently repair work and some installing a 3/4 inch rain sensor ( huge storm will stop them, he, he ).

The other one in business mostly commercial a neighbor knows him from installing on his drug stores and he is also gong to get his sprinklers Hunter all the way and the Hunter Pro C controller & 3 full year warranty and rain sensors he was more detailed on where rotors etc are going and pamphlets were given more like a pro., assuming that he might come down a little in price.

If the other installer does not add a 2 year full warranty, he is out then I know why he is in the repair business mostly and he was recommended by a couple of neighbors. Looking for a quality install and reasonable in price think that both will cover my lawn but thinking that more zones are better but more problems down the road????

Ralph

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 11:26pm

Ralph,

Irrigation zones divide your lawn and garden areas based on several different factors. Sun/shade conditions, soil type, water pressure and flow rates, plant material. One extra zone will not cause additional problems down the road. It's like saying you would only want a four speed car and not a five speed because it will give you more problems down the road.

Deal with the contractor that you feel the bestworking with. Don't hold your breath with the pro coming down in price. If he's any good, he's probably pretty booked this time of year, and has other jobs if you don't want the installation slot.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

zapper

Monday, July 19th 2010, 7:58pm

Thanks Mick, talked to the 8 zone guy and added 1 more year of warranty at no cost of course the other has not called back.

Ralph

zapper

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 7:08pm

Hi, Mick how are you? it seems like will be going with the 7 zone contractor better warranty and $250.00 less, the other stated that the 8 zone will be double coverage and some areas 3 coverage and my wife stated what is the difference as long as its cover I am in Michigan usually not that hot, what is your opinion on double coverage??? etc.

Thanks

Ralph

Rate this thread