You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bdrever

Unregistered

Monday, July 19th 2010, 12:20am

Richdel Valve Won't Open All The Way

I have three old Richdel 3/4 valve's that are on the side of the house we just bought that will only work manually. The only way I can get them to open all the way is if I open the manual screw all the way until it almost pops off and then screw it back on. When the timer comes on it kicks on the solenoids (which I replaced), but it won't open the valves all the way. Water will just trickle from the sprinklers. Any ideas??

mrfixit

Monday, July 19th 2010, 4:30am

Sounds like the diaphragms are bad on all three valves. Take apart all three valves. The diaphragms are probably old and stiff. If one of the diaphragms has fallen apart the missing parts will need to be flushed out. There will probably be a white plastic piece and a stainless steel washer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 19th 2010, 10:11am

If that doesn't work, post a photo of the old valves, as there is another really obscure possibility.

-

By the way, on some old Richdel valves, when you install a new solenoid, you want to remove the white plastic retaining ring before installing the replacement solenoid. That can make a difference in how well an older valve will open.

Happy Camper

Starting Member

Friday, October 29th 2010, 9:10pm

By the way, on some old Richdel valves, when you install a new solenoid, you want to remove the white plastic retaining ring before installing the replacement solenoid. That can make a difference in how well an older valve will open.
Just wanted to say thanks for this helpful advice. It's much appreciated. Our sprinkler system had lost pressure at a few different stations, and I was ready to rebuild with new diaphragms I'd ordered, but then caught your post and thought I'd give your advice a swing first. Sure enough, using solenoids without the retaining ring did the trick. Your advice saved me from a lot of sweat and headache, since the alternative, considering how and where the valves are located (1-1/2' underground) wasn't going to be an easy fix even for a minor rebuild. Cheers!

Rate this thread