You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

NorthCOVideo

Starting Member

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 11:28pm

Piping

Hello, this may be the wrong area to post this or there might already be posts on this, but patience is not on my side right now so this is my question. We are looking to install a system and use PVC as it seems to be cheaper in the long run, does the use of 90 degree angles in the main lines affect the pressure?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 7:05pm

When water flows through pipes, it loses pressure. There are charts that will indicate how much pressure (usually expressed in PSI losses per every 100 feet of pipe) based on pipe type, pipe size, and water speed.

There are additional charts that will indicate for various pipes, what the equivilent pipe length is... and the last time I saw one of these charts for typical PVC fittings, it indicated a 90 elbow was equivilent in pressure loss to 1 foot of pipe. So if you are trying to compute the pressure loss in a 10ft long piece of pipe that includes 1 90 elbow, you have to pretent the pipe is 11ft long.

Rate this thread