You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

qu1xs1lv3r

Unregistered

Saturday, July 24th 2010, 10:59am

underground sprinkler leak

hi,

we have an underground sprinkler system that worked last summer.. we had it winterized and now its summer i tried to turn it back on.. but its just leaking.. i dont even know what part it is so i took a picture and i hope someone can make sense of it.. i tried to do a lot of reading and try to look for the parts so i can replace it myself.. but i have no luck doing searches.. can't seem to find the correct part..

here's the pic:

any help will be highly appreciated!! thanks in advance! also if someone can explain the parts in the picture? ahehe thanks!

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 24th 2010, 9:10pm

That is your back-flow preventer... it protects your home water supply by preventing water in you irrigation pipes from getting sucked back into the house plumbing. This particular type of back-flow preventer is called a pressure vaccum breaker (PVB).

Beyond that, I can't tell you much more... I'm just a DIY homeowner that uses a different type of backflow preventer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 7:34am

Either there is debris in the PVB or there are rubber parts needing replacement

qu1xs1lv3r

Unregistered

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 12:56pm

That is your back-flow preventer... it protects your home water supply by preventing water in you irrigation pipes from getting sucked back into the house plumbing. This particular type of back-flow preventer is called a pressure vaccum breaker (PVB).

Beyond that, I can't tell you much more... I'm just a DIY homeowner that uses a different type of backflow preventer.

cool that makes sense now.. i finally figure out how to open it.. (the black thing).. and the spring came off so when the water was pushing up the bonnet (i think) wasnt making a good seal hence the leak!

thanks to this site i managed to fix it already without buying new parts..

thanks again!