You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gahzoo

Friday, July 30th 2010, 4:06pm

solenoid valve stays on even though controller is set to off position

I have rainbirs sprinklers and dont really know what the zone valves are. the controller is a toro. This problem happened after a heavy downpour that lasted an hour. When I disconnect the wiring to the valve at the irrigation box the valve deactivates. Is the solenoid damaged?

mrfixit

Friday, July 30th 2010, 6:21pm

You say you don't know what a valve zone is but you've disconnected the wire at the valve. Each valve runs a specific area of the yard. Each area is a zone. Valve one is zone one. Valve two is zone two and so on. I'm confusing myself here back to your problem.

If the controller's set to off and the valve shut down when you disconnected the wire I highly suspect your controller.

I suppose it's possible the valve was stuck on and you jiggled it some while disconnecting the wire and it shut off. I'm going on the assumption that's not the case.

If the valve comes back on when you hook the wire back up the controller's bad. I have seen the Toro Greenskeeper fail telling a valve to run 24 hours a day.

If you need more help we'll need more information. What happens when you hook the wire back up?

You could try resetting the controller. Take the battery out. Unplug for 5 minutes. Reprogram. The storm may have done something to the controller.

gahzoo

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 6:37pm

Thanks for the reply. Its a rainbird solenoid valve. When the controller is set to off I can hear the water running thru the piping at the supply and when i go to the irrigation box , one of the five valves is humming and water is coming out of that zone. When I disconnect the wire to the valve at thee box it shuts the zone off. I'm assuming the valve is shot. But why would the valve stay energized when the controller is set to be off. When I unplug the controller the zone valve shuts down and the water stops running.

mrfixit

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 11:06pm

If you've reset the controller and you still have the same problem then there's something wrong with the controller. The problem is not the valve.

Time to buy a new controller.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 5:48pm

Before you buy a new controller, check to see if you have an empty zone terminal (post) in the controller. Move the troubled zone wire to that terminal and see if that solves your problems. It's not uncommon for a controller to malfunction and send juice to one of the posts. It's what we call a "Hot Post". There is definitely something wrong with your controller, but this fix might buy some time and save some money.

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 11:02pm

It's not uncommon for a controller to malfunction and send juice to one of the posts. It's what we call a "Hot Post".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was curious how many times you've seen a "hot post" activate a valve?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 4:50pm

I've seen it mostly on the older TORO Vision controllers. A few times on the Irritrol Total Controls. Don't know what causes it, but one of the circuits goes bad and constantly sends electricity to the post. I've seen it happen maybe a dozen times over the past ten years.

mrfixit

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 6:20pm

I've never seen a Toro vision controller other than in pictures. Maybe they didn't sell those in California. Then again Toro is based only a few miles from here. I wonder how long they've been in Riverside. I don't see many Total Controls installed either. I will say I've been seeing them more often the past couple years though. I can only recall seeing a rogue post hot enough to activate a valve one time in 16 years due to a fault in the controller. That was on a Toro Greenkeeper or EXC or something similar with the modules. Maybe it's a humidity issue.

Rate this thread