You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Whisby

Unregistered

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 5:28pm

Solenoid bust pvc pipe

I am hoping someone might know the answer to my problem first let me explain a little about my sprinkler system. When I got the house the sprinkler system was already here it is split into four zone with a solenoid controling each of the zone recently the pvc pipe leading into the solenoid for zone four burst we replace it using PVC Primer and PVC glue. All of the joints hold but the one connecting to the solenoid keeps bursting. We clean off the prior glue with a piece of sand paper and make sure the ends are clean and then prime and glue it and let it dry for 24 hours and it still burst no matter how much glue is on it. I was told that PVC cement is what I should use for the connection of the PVC to the solenoid instead of PVC glue. Is this correct? And help you can provide is greatly welcomed.

Whisby

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 3:41am

The people on this site can provide you with all kinds of advice.

Do you mean the pipe is coming unglued instead of burst?

I was wondering if you could provide us with a picture?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 7:50am

One try is enough. Now you start completely over with brand-new pipe and fittings. In tight spaces, you figure to need one or more unions to complete the task.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 9:09am

To properly "glue" (it's actually a chemical welding process) PVC pipe TO A FITTING (i.e. you can't "glue" two pieces of pipe together, you have to "glue" the two pipes together with a fitting), you first mechanically clean the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting that will go over the pipe. You then use a PVC Primer on the outside of the pipe and inside of the fitting. Once the primer has dried, you place a thick coat of PVC Cement on the outside of the pipe and a thin coat of the cement on the inside of the pipe. You push the two ends together and give it atleast a quarter turn to help ensure the cement is distributed all around the pipe to ensure you have a complete seal.

BTW, the pipe and fitting should have a snug fit when you put them together "dry" (before using the cement). If you sand the pipe too much, the diameter of the pipe relative to the fitting can be off so much that the join will fail.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 9:48am

By the way, if the zone valve is a slip x slip type, that glues onto the pipe, you might need a new one of those, too.

Whisby

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 3:14pm

Solenoid Pvc Pipe burst

To properly "glue" (it's actually a chemical welding process) PVC pipe TO A FITTING (i.e. you can't "glue" two pieces of pipe together, you have to "glue" the two pipes together with a fitting), you first mechanically clean the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting that will go over the pipe. You then use a PVC Primer on the outside of the pipe and inside of the fitting. Once the primer has dried, you place a thick coat of PVC Cement on the outside of the pipe and a thin coat of the cement on the inside of the pipe. You push the two ends together and give it atleast a quarter turn to help ensure the cement is distributed all around the pipe to ensure you have a complete seal.

BTW, the pipe and fitting should have a snug fit when you put them together "dry" (before using the cement). If you sand the pipe too much, the diameter of the pipe relative to the fitting can be off so much that the join will fail.
Thanks for the advice so far everyone a couple of you asked questions so I want to answer and clearify a little bit. Yes, the PVC pipe did break apart at the joint the original pipe burst and had to be replaced with new pipe all of the joints are holding except the last joint going into the solenoid.I will try to post a pic of the situation so you can see what I am dealing with.

Rate this thread