You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ldelin

Starting Member

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 4:19am

Sprinkler heads discharging sand

I have a 4 zone system in the Lake Mary, FL area that is fed by a shallow well/pump. Starting last season, increasing amounts of fine, very white sand began appearing in the areas around the sprinkler heads. I tried removing the heads and purging the lines of the sand, but it doesn't seem to end the problem. It first appeared at one or two of the heads, and now it seems to be at all of them. Also, it's quite a bit of sand. It showed up at first on areas like walks and driveways, but eventually it was visible even through the grass. The system is over twenty-five years old, but has been maintained and repaired diligently over that time. I see mentions of sand filters on here, but don't know if I have one. If I do, I don't see it anywhere in the system. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 9:08am

You might need to replace your well point. The quantity of sand you speak of would probably overwhelm most strainers.