You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MrsPappi

Sunday, August 8th 2010, 11:23am

Febco 765 backflow device leaks when sprinkler comes on

Please help me before I lose my mind!

Yesterday morning, I had the joy of realizing that I had water spewing out of my Febco 765. We replaced the bonnet and the poppet. Turned the water back on. It spit a little bit and stopped. Everything seemed fabulous until I attempted to water the lawn. I had another beautiful fountain coming out of the pressure valve breaker. The fountain will not stop until you turn the valve to stop the water completely.

We took it apart, put it back together several times. We replaced the spring. We made sure the O-ring was seated. We carefully followed the directions and quickly turned on the inlet valve and slowly opened the outlet valve. We even attempted opening the outlet valve half way. The fountain appeared every time I pushed the button to water a zone, while my grass jealously stared on. Even if I close the outlet valve, the fountain continues until the inlet valve is closed.

None of the parts appear damaged. It has not frozen. The only thing that has changed is that a professional replaced the pressure regulator that is right where the water comes into the house. They swear that it couldn't have anything to do with it. Obviously I have my doubts, but I don't have any way to prove it. I am in desperate need of a clue.

In addition, I just tried putting the old bonnet and poppet in. Same thing. I noticed that after I turned off the inlet (leaving the outlet valve open) the water didn't drain out. I fished the bonnet and poppet out and it very slowly drained. What is the deeper meaning of this?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MrsPappi" (Aug 8th 2010, 11:45am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 9th 2010, 6:56am

Too much of a coincidence to not suspect the changed plumbing. In any event, get a pressure gauge and take some measurements and report back. If you have a choice, you don't want to be feeding a sprinkler system through a pressure reducer anyway.

MrsPappi

Monday, August 9th 2010, 8:03am

The pressure gauge that I hooked up to the outside faucet was at 72 PSI. I assume I need a gauge so I can measure at the testcock. I'll work on that today.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 9th 2010, 12:26pm

Also measure pressure when zones turns on.

-

By the way, make certain that there aren't any partially-closed valves in the water pathway.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Aug 9th 2010, 3:26pm)

MrsPappi

Wednesday, August 11th 2010, 12:19am

I got the folks that installed the pressure reducer back to my house. After they try to tell me again that my sprinkler has nothing to do with it, they try to convince me that my original pressure reducer NEVER worked and then it broke worse (started making the horrible sound that caused me to call them). Somehow I avoided strangling him and demonstrated my most recent discovery of how the shower loses all pressure if a toilet is flushed. He considered the idea that the pressure reducer was defective. He replaced it and everything works. :)

Somebody is getting a nasty letter from me. Thank you all for supporting me in my time of need.

Rate this thread