You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 12th 2010, 10:35am

Rainbird ESP Defective?

I have a 2 month old Rainbird ESP Modular (13 Zone) controller which seemed to work OK using only a single "A" program set. However, I recently tried to enter a 2nd program under "B" (with nothing in "C"). Problem: When the controller completes the watering cycle under "A", it IMMEDIATELY starts running the "B" program Zone 1 cycle, followed by "B" program Zone 2 cycle, etc. Unless I'm reading the manual incorrectly, "A", "B" and "C" programs are all independent and should only operate the program set indicated by the switch on the panel. I'm certain there are NOT two programs under "A", or another time cycle following the first. It has ONLY one program for "A" and ONLY one program for "B". I've performed the "all reset" function repeatedly, and re-entered all settings to verify that the individual programs have been entered correctly. Suggestions? Defective Controller?

mrfixit

Thursday, August 12th 2010, 1:11pm

It could be that you have multiple start times programmed. Valve 1 would come on immediately following the completion of the first program. You only need ONE start time then the valves run in sequence. If you programed it for example. Start 1 at 5:00 am - start 2 - 5:15 am start 3 - 5:30 am the program would overlap and run repeatedly.

It doesn't matter where you have that switch. A B C. All programs will run. That's the problem. Overlapping start times or days of the week.

Thursday, August 12th 2010, 2:11pm

I appreciate the quick response.

I think you might have nailed it. For no particular reason, I programmed different start times so that both cycles would COMPLETE at approximately the same time. If I understand your response, you are stating that it should work OK if I delete the "B" start time, or have both use the same start times. Yes?? No??

Minor Editorial Comment: I don't have it with me at the moment, but the manual didn't seem to make this very clear. If it can cause the programming conflict I'm observing, you would think the internal firmware/programming would only permit you to set one start time which would be used for all functions. I guess that's what version 1.1 is for (just kidding).

mrfixit

Thursday, August 12th 2010, 5:12pm

Here's what the different programs are for. Supposing you want to water part of your yard everyday, you water on A.

You want to water part of your yard 2 days a week or whatever number you come up with. You'd put them on B.

Same with C. Do whatever you want.

The only conflict you'll have is if the valves are programmed on A B or C to run at the same time. You need to make sure none of the programs are running at the same time. If they are they need to be on different days of the week.

Yes you can turn off B and have different start times on A if you're trying to water more than once a day.