You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jap1979

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 12:39pm

wireing question

i am about to wire my 7 zone system and i have a dumb quesiton... my wire is ran from the controller then to zone to zone to zone... when i wire the first zone i know i wire the white to one wire on the valve and pick a color for the other wire (red for this example). but my question is, do i just wire all of the other color pairs back together? or is there some way to only cut the white and red wire leaving all of the other wires uncut?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 10:18am

Absolutely...Depending on how you installed the wire. Generally, when we install systems, we leave a 1' coil of extra wire per valve. This lets us strip the casing and cut just the wires we need. If you left no extra wire in the valve box, you may find it difficult to connect the ends of your wires, but it is possible. Simply run a short "jumper wire".

Remember: Both ends of your common wire must be connected to a selenoid wire. With the exception of your valves on the end of the wire, which will only have one common wire.

As for your other question, it is not neccessary to reconnect all wires after a wire splice, but it is a good idea. You only need to splice the colors that will operate a valve. However, if a zone wire ever goes bad, and they do, had you wired them all, you would have a replacement wire to use.

Friday, November 19th 2010, 7:20pm

wiring confusion

I'm wondering if you mean the following:
Each solenoid has two wires, one of them is a ground wire. This can be wired into the ground wire of the next valve and on to the next with one finally returning to the ground location in the control box.
The other wire should be a unique wire that goes right to the control box. Using separate colors would help to identify them.
BTW - I just watched a This Old House video on fixing broken valves and they said there are waterproof wirenuts for typing the wires together. My system (inherited and old) has electric tape but hasn't had an electrical problem yet - even though one of my valves is often flooded during rainstorms.

Rate this thread