You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

holia

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 4:51pm

One station stopped working

Hello!
I have a problem with my sprinkler system. One station (#4) suddenly stopped working. It doesn't turn on at all while the other 3 stations work just fine.
My controller is Rain Bird E-6c. I checked the wires around the controller and they are all attached. The wires in the valve look fine too, with the caps on them. I tried to reset the controller like the manual says - I unplugged the adapter for 10 minutes, plugged it back in, set up all the settings, but that didn't help. ;(

Another problem I noticed when it comes to the station #4, the controller display fades away and even stops showing anything.

The whole back yard doesn't get any water and the grass is dying.
Unfortunately, I can't afford to have it fixed by a professional. I have
to fix it myself with my bare 27 year-old hands! ^^

I would really appreciate any suggestions how to get my station #4 back to life! Thank you in advance for your help and assistance! :love:

Olia

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 6:02pm

One of two things is happening.

Either the valve isn't getting power from the controller or there's something wrong with the valve itself.

Make sure the wires are ok for valve 4. You could move them to another valve and see if that valve comes on and visa versa.

If you have power then there's a problem with the valve. I can help you fix it but I need to know what make and model valve you have. A picture would work.

You might be able to activate the valve by opening the bleeder screw or turning the solenoid counterclockwise. You can water your yard this way until you get it fixed.

Good luck!

holia

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 10:49pm

Thank you! Sounds promising.. I'm going to try to insert the image of the valve.

holia

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 18th 2010, 11:17pm

mrfixit

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 4:53am

Ok I was able to see your pictures. This site is messed up on links. It's a Rain Bird valve. www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-100-DV-A-NPT-1-Inch-Angle-Valve-p/100-dv-a-npt.htm

I'm going on the assumption you don't have tools to test the wires.

Try stripping that blue cable back about 3 inches. Cut the green and white wires back below where the end of the blue cable was before you stripped it. Resplice the end of the valve wires also. Reconnect the wires. See if that works.

Can you turn the valve on with the bleeder screw? That the tiny black thing sticking up on top of the valve. When you turn it water will come out. It's supposed to do that. Keep turning it until the valve comes on then leave it like that until you're done running the sprinklers.

Take the green wire off the controller. Cut about a half inch off. Resplice the end and connect it back up to the controller.

You can also try to turn it on by turning the solenoid. That's the thing with the wires coming out of it. Turn it counter clockwise about 1/2 turn. You might find the handle to turn it on another valve. You might be able to do it by hand.

mrfixit

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 4:56am

Basically all I've had you do is check for a bad splice with the wiring. You still need to know if it's ok from the controller all the way to the valve. Walking you through this process could take a while. It might be a bad diaphragm. Can you connect the green and white wire up to another valve and see if there's power?

holia

Unregistered

Friday, August 20th 2010, 2:36am

I tried to turn the solenoid, but couldn't do it by hand (it doesn't have a handle), but I could turn the bleeder screw and the back yard station came on, I got so excited!!! :thumbup: :thumbsup: I had to water it with a hose, and couldn't spend much time doing it. :S Thank you so much for your help! I'll try to check the wires on weekend.

BTW, what's diaphragm? I heard that it could be the problem and it also could be easily replaced.

holia

Unregistered

Friday, August 27th 2010, 10:17pm

The whole controller stopped working ?( ?( ?(
Whenever I try to turn the stations on the display fades away and turns off. 3 stations for the front yard are not working now and I can not find valves for them in order to irrigate them manually. Please, help! Should I replace the controller??? ?(

mrfixit

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 2:51am

I doubt you need a new controller. Make sure there's power coming out of the outlet. Make sure the fuse on the controller is ok. Press the reset button if there is one. Disconnect the ground wiring from the controller. Try to run the controller. Of course the sprinklers wont come on with the ground/common wire disconnected. I just want to see if it still fades out. Did you fiddle with the wiring since you were here last?

I know you're trying to do this on your own but if it gets anymore complicated you may need to call someone. You don't even know where the valves are. A pro can locate them for you.