You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

stanleyB

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 11:18am

What is a "weeping" zone valve?

A 24/7 leak from a low head would be caused by a "weeping" zone valve.

I think I have the same problem as the person who received the above answer. I imagine that the zone valve is at the manifold. What does it look like and how do i fix it... Thank you

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 1:08pm

Stanley, can you find and get into your irrigation valve box? Do you know what a manifold is?

If you can, then there are only a few items that could be there. Backflow prevention assemblies, shut off valves, filters, and master valves.

If you have a manifold, then you would have a manifold, irrigation valve(s) and the wiring. The valve is the item that the wiring is connected to. An irrigation valve can be in a variety of shapes. www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Sprinkler-System-Irrigation-Valves-s/36.htm

If you have a weeping valve, it is probably caused by either debris in the valve, causing the diaphragm to not seal properly, or a faulty diaphragm.

You can try to open up the valve and see if there is anything in the valve. Shut the water off first. Sand, dirt or small pebbles can also cause the diaphragm to not seal, so the debris can be very small. If your diaphragm is faulty, you can replace it.

Normally when I go to a service call with a weeping valve, I will do an inspection and a quick clean out. Other than that, it's less expensive for the client if I just replace the guts and upper portion of the valve. With the cost of the valve, and labor rates, it's less for the client than taking expensive time searching around for a diagnosis to repair a cheap part.

If you replace the diaphragm or the valve guts, the valve parts will have to be from the exact same make and model as you have in the ground now.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fireguy97" (Aug 24th 2010, 1:13pm)

Rate this thread