You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

golfer

Starting Member

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 11:09pm

tying into pexhose

I'm using 3/4x3/4x3/4 T SharkBite to tie my water line, which is made of 3/4 pex, to my PVB device. Will the SharkBite fitting hold at 65 psi? If not any other suggestions?

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 11:35pm

A Sharkbite is supposed to hold 65psi. Would I want it at my home, nope! Tie into your PEX line with proper pex fittings and PEX crimp rings.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 27th 2010, 8:39am

There are plastic compression fittings made for working with PEX, although they may not have the "install it behind a wall" trustworthiness of the conventional PEX crimp fittings. Also, since PEX is copper-tubing-sized material, one could use waterworks-quality compression fittings to connect to it. Either of those choices is far less expensive than the cost of owning your own crimpimg tools for conventional PEX fittings.

ReddhEad

Advanced Member

Friday, August 27th 2010, 9:36am

I used a Sharkbite fitting to repair a garden hose spigot. I wasn't terribly impressed with it. I will probably change it out in favor if a PEX fitting and copper compression rings.

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Friday, August 27th 2010, 10:55am

There are plastic compression fittings made for working with PEX, although they may not have the "install it behind a wall" trustworthiness of the conventional PEX crimp fittings. Also, since PEX is copper-tubing-sized material, one could use waterworks-quality compression fittings to connect to it. Either of those choices is far less expensive than the cost of owning your own crimpimg tools for conventional PEX fittings.

You shouldn't have to purchase a PEX crimper if you're only doing a fix here and there. A lot of hardware stores will rent the crimpers to you for a couple of dollars, and some will even lend them to you to use for a couple of hours if you purchase the fittings from them.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 3:27pm

Just following up, I tapped into my house main (1" PEX) using this nice little compact crimper from FleaBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290440061911&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Worked awesome and the auction includes your choice of ten copper crimp rings.

jmricker

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 9:14am

I don't like the plastic compression fittings -- for best results check with a plumbing supply house and get a brass compression fitting. You'll also need a plastic furl for any connection that will be on plastic pipe.

re: Shark Bite fittings. One of the plumbing supply houses in my area has been carrying Shark Bite fittings since they came on the market. A couple of days ago, I asked one the salespeople if they ever had any complaints since they've been selling them. He said they've only had one complaint -- the person put the connection together WITH GLUE and complained when it leaked.

Joel