You are not logged in.

Lou2221

Friday, August 27th 2010, 7:57am

PVC pipe protruding from ground after installation

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but - my contractor just finished my installation. In two places there are ~1" PVC pipes protruding ~2-3" from the ground. One is right in the middle of my front yard. I can't believe that should be there, because it will be hit by a mower in no time. What is it and should it be in the middle of my front yard? There's also one in the corner of my backyard. I wanted to know something about it before I ask the installer.

Also, there are several risers in the flower beds. Some are not as plumb as I think they should be. Is it acceptable to ask the installer to correct them?

Should the controller wires going through the wall be inside PVC? There's an elbow on both sides of the wall, but the wires are visible coming out of the wall. My neighbor's are not visible.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Lou2221" (Aug 27th 2010, 5:16pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 27th 2010, 8:41am

Just ask the installer. Don't freight yourself with any assumptions.

Lou2221

Friday, August 27th 2010, 9:19am

Just ask the installer. Don't freight yourself with any assumptions.
The thing is that I'm not going to accept it in the middle of the yard anyway. But I would rather be prepared with an intelligent request before I ask him to move it.

Thanks.

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Friday, August 27th 2010, 11:09am

Is it the end of the pipe, or a mid-pipe exposure? I would never leave a piece of exposed PVC in the middle of a completed job.

What are you calling risers? Is it a 1/2" or 3/4" nipple, a pop-up spray head, or a 1/4" micro-spray semi-hard line? Normally the risers should be close to plumb. PVC nipples can bend a little in the heat, but you should be able to get them pretty close if they were installed with a swing joint. 1/4" risers will never be plumb without a stake. Some installers will perferate the poly and plug the riser in. Sometimes it's plumb, most times not, because poly will move.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

Lou2221

Friday, August 27th 2010, 11:47am

Is it the end of the pipe, or a mid-pipe exposure? I would never leave a piece of exposed PVC in the middle of a completed job.

What are you calling risers? Is it a 1/2" or 3/4" nipple, a pop-up spray head, or a 1/4" micro-spray semi-hard line? Normally the risers should be close to plumb. PVC nipples can bend a little in the heat, but you should be able to get them pretty close if they were installed with a swing joint. 1/4" risers will never be plumb without a stake. Some installers will perferate the poly and plug the riser in. Sometimes it's plumb, most times not, because poly will move.

Mick
It's the end of the pipe protruding perpendicular to the ground, not exposed, buried pipe.

Maybe riser is incorrect. It's a tube in the flower beds upon which there is a spray head at the top.

Thank you for your reply.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 11:17am

Heads in beds should always be above grade, because beds are always getting mulch added. Risers will sometimes be installed leaning away from a house, so that spray does not strike the house. The leaning wouldn't be needed if there was a good separation between house and shrubs, but the plantings aren't always set up that way.

Lou2221

Monday, September 13th 2010, 1:59pm

The protruding PVC pipes were location markers that the installation crew forgot to remove when finished.

kosterirrigation

Saturday, February 12th 2011, 9:01pm

We do the same thing sometimes to mark valve boxes with scrap pipes so the landscapers dont till up our buried equipment.

As far as the risers not being plumb, thats a simple fix with a little straightening and compaction of the dirt around the pipe.

Rate this thread