You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rockinroller

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 7:34pm

Converting Rainbird Maxi-Paw heads to Hunter PGP--New head sticks up above ground level

I have a 20 yr. old sprinkler system that was comprised of Rainbird Maxi-Paw sprinklers. As they stop working I replace each with Hunter's PGP-ADJ heads. The Hunters connect via a 3/4" thread to my 1/2" fittings in the ground from the Rainbird heads, which is bad enough, in that I have to cut a 1/2 to 3/4 riser to min. length, remove the old riser and install the new one so that the two different sizes mate. The big problem is that the Hunter heads only fit from the bottom--there's no "optional" side-mount like the Rainbirds had, and that, coupled with the increased length of the Hunter, causes their finished elevation to be 1-3" above grade--just the right ingredients for my my mower to mangle the new head. I've been lucky so far in my replacement efforts as I have been able to "bend" the old piping downward and load it up with heavy backfill (boulders, etc) that it's allowed the new Hunter head to recede to nearly grade level but I've just run into my first replacement where there's no way I can get it low enough without digging 2-3ft back on the feed line and try to get it installed lower into the ground (which seems like a lot of work and certainly there's a better way--hopefully!). Any suggestions out there? I thought there was some sort of 1/2" to 3/4" flexible riser back when I first ordered my Hunters a couple of years ago at S.W. but I didn't see anything online today on their site. That would allow the new head's installation to be several inches from the original replacing fitting and the bendable riser would allow the feed from that point to go lower into the ground, obviously accomodating the higher head.

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 7:56pm

You could convert the Maxi-paws to pgp's with a retrofit rotor. Basically you use the maxi-paws body and screw in a pgp-atr.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-PGP-ATR-PGP-Impact-Replacement-Rotor-p/pgp-atr.htm

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 1st 2010, 1:30am

Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

rockinroller

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 1st 2010, 5:50am

Rainbird Maxi-Paw to Hunter PGP Conversion

Thanks for the replies. Swing joints are my answer it appears. The back-fit of Hunter into Maxi-Paw would be easy enough but I've already bought a case of these Hunter PGPs to replace the Rainbirds as they start dysfunctioning. I appreciate your responses!

GALES

Unregistered

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 9:44pm

RE: Converting Rainbird Maxi-Paw heads to Hunter PGP--New head sticks up above ground level

why don't you use flex hose from you lat line to the new i 20 head u can put it thn at any level you need the head
I have a 20 yr. old sprinkler system that was comprised of Rainbird Maxi-Paw sprinklers. As they stop working I replace each with Hunter's PGP-ADJ heads. The Hunters connect via a 3/4" thread to my 1/2" fittings in the ground from the Rainbird heads, which is bad enough, in that I have to cut a 1/2 to 3/4 riser to min. length, remove the old riser and install the new one so that the two different sizes mate. The big problem is that the Hunter heads only fit from the bottom--there's no "optional" side-mount like the Rainbirds had, and that, coupled with the increased length of the Hunter, causes their finished elevation to be 1-3" above grade--just the right ingredients for my my mower to mangle the new head. I've been lucky so far in my replacement efforts as I have been able to "bend" the old piping downward and load it up with heavy backfill (boulders, etc) that it's allowed the new Hunter head to recede to nearly grade level but I've just run into my first replacement where there's no way I can get it low enough without digging 2-3ft back on the feed line and try to get it installed lower into the ground (which seems like a lot of work and certainly there's a better way--hopefully!). Any suggestions out there? I thought there was some sort of 1/2" to 3/4" flexible riser back when I first ordered my Hunters a couple of years ago at S.W. but I didn't see anything online today on their site. That would allow the new head's installation to be several inches from the original replacing fitting and the bendable riser would allow the feed from that point to go lower into the ground, obviously accomodating the higher head.

Rate this thread