You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

heathuff

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 1st 2010, 1:45pm

Pump comes on but no water

My irrigation system has suddenly stopped working. When I turn on the irrigation from the controller, the pump comes on like normal, but no water comes out from any of the zones. I have 5 zones but nothing comes out at all. The controller and pump are both located in our garage if that helps but I have no idea where it gets the water from...could the water be dried out or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 1:33am

RE: Pump comes on but no water

I have no idea where it gets the water from...could the water be dried out or something?

Has anyone worked on any plumbing at your home recently? A valve could have been accidentally shut off. You will have to trace the water line back to origin and check to see if your valves are open. Does your irrigation system run from a well or municipal water?

What happens when you turn your valves on manually from the valve box?

Some people have irrigation system on wells and municipal water for home consumption. Yes, If you are on a well, it could have dried up.

If you don't know how to trace the pipe back to origin, or if you don't know if your have city or well water, you might want to consider getting an Irrigation Contractor in to look at your problem

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fireguy97" (Sep 2nd 2010, 1:40am)

heathuff

Unregistered

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 6:21pm

Pump comes on but no water

Hi fireguy,

Thanks for the reply...nobody has been to the home to work on any of the plumbing, and I know that we are on municipal water (not a well)...When you ask what happens when I turn the valves on manually from the "valve box"...are you referring to the controller box where I program days of the week and zones? If so, when I turn it to "manual" the pump starts like normal, just no water.

Also, if this helps, the pump is in the garage against the wall, and there is pipes running up along the wall and they go outside, well, if I put my hand on the pipes (while the pump is running) it feels like water flowing through them (or maybe its just the vibration from the pump?) Anyway, on the outside of the house where the pump is, there are 2 valves that turn just like if I were turning on a hose, but when I turn them either way, nothing happens.

Would you happen to know how much something like this will cost to be repaired (assuming the pump is ok)? I realize without knowing the actual problem its hard to answer, but Im afraid someone is going to come here and try to tell me its something complicated and expensive, when it may be something very simple...anyway, thanks for the help!

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 7:13pm

RE: Pump comes on but no water

When you ask what happens when I turn the valves on manually from the "valve box"...are you referring to the controller box where I program days of the week and zones?

No, the controller (clock) is an electrical timer that you can program so that the valves come on for certain lenghts of time on specific days. If you have anti-siphon valves, they will be above ground. Other types of irrigation valves are probably in the ground, hopefuly in a valve box for protection. Wires connect the clock to the irrigation valve(s). You should be able to turn the valve on manually at the valve box for testing.

on the outside of the house where the pump is, there are 2 valves that turn just like if I were turning on a hose, but when I turn them either way, nothing happens.

Turn both of these valves counter clockwise to make sure that they are open. The problem could be as simple as making sure that all of your valves are open, and you have your pump primed.

Would you happen to know how much something like this will cost to be repaired (assuming the pump is ok)? I realize without knowing the actual problem its hard to answer, but Im afraid someone is going to come here and try to tell me its something complicated and expensive, when it may be something very simple

I have no idea what the labor charges are for your area, as a matter of fact, I don't even know where on our planet that you live. I've done some jobs like this and it's taken ten minutes, and most of that was learning the system. I've done others that have taken several hours. You are right, you can't really tell until you look at it.

PM me.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester