You are not logged in.

dwinmac

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 2:42pm

Rain Clox RC-3 Controller Manual?

I have a 30 year old Rain Bird system with a Rain Clox RC-3 Controller. I haven't used it for 20 years or so but decided this year to see if I could get it up and running. There are no Rain Bird contractors in the Syracuse, NY area so I have spent the last month or so learning by trial and error the vagaries of an irrigation system. Several new Maxi Paw and 1800 sprinkler heads, 4 new valves, tons of PVC pipe and many mystifying PVC fittings, not to mention digging up the front and side lawns along the buried PVC pipe looking for the hidden sprinkler heads as well as digging up the some of the sprinkler heads several times trying to make some sense out of it. It has been a little bit fun (at the beginning) somewhat frustrating but I have learned a lot from the experience. Who said "Experience is a hard teacher, you get the test first then the lessons".

The system is basically working, there is still a pressure and flow issue with 4 Maxi Paws on the same zone but that's ok, I'll correct that next summer (I built a cap out of the big nut that secures the internal mechanism from one of the old Maxi Paws so that only 3 of the Maxi Paws are operational). My problem right now is that the clock in the controller is not working. I can turn the 3 zones off and on by manipulating the rocker switches within the controller but without the clock there is no way to turn them off and on automatically.

I've seen another post on this forum that said the clock motor probably needs to be replaced. I can do that if it's available but I would also like to get a user manual for the controller. Is there any way to get manuals for the old controllers like the RC-3?

mrfixit

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 3:35pm

I can't recall seeing a Rain Clox RC-3 Controller.

Here's a guided to repairing RC controllers.
www.rainbird.com/pdf/turf/ASC_Fall99.pdf

The thing is your controller is 30 years old you say. The motors aren't cheap. Maybe you can fix it but you'll still have a 30 year old controller. You might want to consider buying a new one.
www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Sprinkler-Timers-Controllers-s/23.htm

dwinmac

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 4:05pm

That "Technical Newletter" is exactly what I need. It looks like a much more recent version of the RC controller but it is a mechanical type like the RC-3. I notice from the schematic that there is a fuse in the 24 vac input I will check that first. Maybe I'll luck out and find that the RC-3 has 2 fuses one for the motor and another for the valves. There appears to also be a resistor involved although it may not be externaI to the motor. I can then check to see if the "Timing Motor" is available. Depending on cost I may get one just for the rest of this season.

I need more zones than 3 so next year I will be looking to get a new controller. Thanks so much.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 2:55pm

a Rain Clox 3-zone controller is almost certainly re-branded Intermatic. While I'm sure you can still get motors for them, they are capable of failing for other mechanical issues.

Rate this thread