You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 9:20pm

I'm an idiot. PVC pipe design question.

I just picked up all my supplies from the local supply and design center and realized that I'm an idiot. I mapped out my yard and gave all the misc details to the designer who made a plan for my backyard sprinklers. I told him that my main line was 1 1/4" pvc and found out after I got home and started to dig my trenches that the main line is actually only 1" pvc. I would call the store but its Labor Day weekend and they are closed till Tuesday. I was hoping to get a lot of the installation done this long weekend. So my question.

Can i step up from a 1" line to a 1 1/4" line without any major issues? The design calls for 1 1/4" pvc to be routed to all five valves and on the other end two exit at 1 1/4", two at 1", and one at 3/4". My psi runs between 90 and 110 per the water district.

Best case scenario I would be able to connect the main line to what I have now with a step up adapter and run my plans as designed. Is this a good idea or do I need to alter things so that everything is run off of 1" line and smaller?

Thanks in advance for advice.

P.S. I googled this question the best I could, including design tutorials without finding any tips on stepping up/down.

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 2:49am

RE: I'm an idiot. PVC pipe design question.

Can i step up from a 1" line to a 1 1/4" line without any major issues?

Yes, No problem

My psi runs between 90 and 110 per the water district.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) in your home? If you do, your working pressure is probably 70-75 PSI Normally the water district gives you the pressure that your SHOULD be getting as the water enters your property line. If this is the pressure that you gave your designer, you might want to check the pressure at a hose bibb.

Best case scenario I would be able to connect the main line to what I have now with a step up adapter and run my plans as designed.

Is this a good idea or do I need to alter things so that everything is run off of 1" line and smaller?

Larger pipe will give you better flow rates because you will have better (less) friction loss. That will be negligable on a smaller lot however.

Mick

Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fireguy97" (Sep 5th 2010, 1:21pm)

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 4:06am

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the quick response.

Rate this thread