You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 11:34pm

Add second controler or combine new and old lines?

I bought my house with the front yard already landscaped. It has three zones and is controlled by a Hunter SRC six zone system. I am in the process of landscaping my back yard now and the system that I am installing has five zones (with space for six.) My question is should I combine the front and back systems on one controller or just add another controller and alternate the watering days so that the two don't overlap?

Sprinkler Warehouse sells the SRC 9i for $85, and the SRC 6i is $75 so the price is really negligible.

Another question I have is about wiring. Should I buy 18-7 irrigation wire or string together 16-1 and make it work on all my zones. Which is better and is it worth the price difference?

Thanks in advance for your replies. This site has been a huge help this past week.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 13th 2010, 6:34am

Use a single controller. Keep it simple. Multiconductor cable allows you to color-code the wiring.

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 1:09pm

why would you want to?

Why would you want to go with two controllers...just more of a chance of the clocks overlapping and not watering with the proper pressure. Also, if you need a rain-sensor or a matre valve, now you need two. JMHO

www.irrigationsolutions.com

Sunday, January 16th 2011, 11:37am

I agree two controllers are a pain. I usually only offer it if someone wants the lowest possible price.
Tx irrigator and backflow tester

Sprinkler Repair Georgetown

kosterirrigation

Saturday, February 12th 2011, 8:30pm

One controller.

Just for the purpose of not having to "keep track" of two different clocks watering schedules and not allowing overlap is reason enough.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 2:22pm

RE: why would you want to?

...if you need a rain-sensor or a matre valve, now you need two...

Not completely true...

If the controller uses the rain sensors that simply connect in series with the "common", the you only have to connect the "common" of the two controllers together to use one rain sensor. (An electrical skematic would be required to determine if two controllers could share a single rain sensor if the controllers have seperate rain sensor inputs).

You also would not require two master valves. You can build a relay circuit that would allow you to run the master valve when either controller is on...but that requires some knowledge, and the cost of parts might offset the price difference in controllers.

You might also want two controllers if you want to allow two zones to be on at the same time. For example, I have both lawn irrigation zones and drip irrigation zones. I wanted to be able to run both lawn and drip zones at the same time. MOST controllers are not going to let you run two zones at once. So I opted for two cheaper controllers (one for lawn, the other for drip).

But unless you've got an unusual situation, I would agree with the general notion that one controller will be better than two.

Rate this thread