You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

SandiR2

Unregistered

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 1:17pm

zone 2 heads come on for both zone 2 and zone 3

Up until 4-6 weeks ago my system was working fine. For unknown reason(s), now zone 3 does not work. When I use the controller to manually turn on each zone, when I turn on zone 3, the heads in zone 2 come on (but not the heads in zone 3). When zone 2 is turned on manually, those heads do come on correctly, so the wiring is not simply switched. I tried moving the wire from zone 3 to zone 6 (currently empty), but that did not change anything -- zone 2 heads still came on. The controller is a Rain Bird SST-600i, if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?

SandiR2

Unregistered

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 1:20pm

additional information on my problem

additional information .... zones 1, 4, and 5 work correctly. zone 2 comes on when it should, but when zone 3 should be on, it is zone 2 heads that are putting out water. at no time do the heads for zone 3 pop up. this only started happenng 4-6 weeks ago. no construction or digging has taken place. we're in Florida, so lightning is always a possibility.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 1:38pm

Some electrical testing could help you narrow down the possibilities.

mrfixit

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 2:59pm

Sounds like a wiring problem.

Do this. Turn on number three. Disconnect the number 3 wire from the controller. If the valve turns off you have a wiring problem. If the valve stays on you have a controller problem.

SandiR2

Unregistered

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 5:55pm

Ok, so it must be a wiring problem -- they turned off when I disconnected #3's wire. I had a cut wire on another zone a few months back -- would that be the best place to look first, to see if I missed some minor damage that would be causing the short now, or should I just start at where they exit the controller box and dig/follow them until I find something with some damage?

Thanks!

mrfixit

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 9:28pm

It would be a good idea to check where the damage was. There's a good chance that's where the problem is. Also check the wires at the valves. Note the color of the wire you're looking for. See if there's a spare unused wire you can replace the number 3 wire with.

SandiR2

Unregistered

Friday, September 17th 2010, 3:09pm

All fixed... thanks for your help. The problem was at the same area where the damage was before. There wasn't an extra wire, and since most of them looked rough I went ahead and cut out the bad section and spliced each of them back together.

Thanks again.

Rate this thread