You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, September 17th 2010, 7:30am

Converting hunter I20's for mp3000's

Hi,

I live in NJ and have sandy soil which is rock hard due . My current 10 zone system is using Hunter I20 6" rotors. I currently water 35 min per zone every other day. This was a very dry summer and I guess that was not enough because my lawn is dead(except for the crbgrass) The rotors are throwing about 28' .I have 5 heads per zone doing 360 except for the 2 end ones. My front lawn is 130 x 42. I have 3 zones in the area about 22' apart. 2 are on the main lawn and the 3rd is on a small strip of grass on the sidewalk that also provides coverage for the area. I feel I am no getting good coveragebecause of all the dead areas. I am think of replacing the zone in the middle of the lawn with MP3000's as they look like they cover well. If they work out I will replace a few other zones with them. Can I use the same body the Hunter is using or does it have to be changed? Is there another head I could try without changing too much? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 17th 2010, 7:58am

Consider the possibility that the system is fine and you simply didn't run the sprinklers long enough to do your lawn any good. This summer punished the thrifty folks who expected last years schedule of watering to be good enough for this year.

Friday, September 17th 2010, 8:10am

My lawn is in the sun all day. I guess i should let them run every day. I have a well and am I worried about taxing the pump.Too late now but I will adjust my schedule.However I still feel the rotors aren't covering well.Do you have any opimions about the mp3000's?

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 19th 2010, 6:32pm

Hunter heads are probably better than the Rotators in your application. If the system is running at low zone pressures, with spotty coverage, it can be re-nozzled.

Monday, September 20th 2010, 9:18am

I have alot of puddling around a few heads and water is coming out of where the body meets the rotor. I have tried to tighten them but I can neve stop it. Do I need new rotors or a new body or both. I fought with one for 45 min yesterday but cound only get it down to a small leak.Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 20th 2010, 12:29pm

You are on a well, so you may be pumping sand. Also, you may not have a lot of pressure at the heads, in which case better results could be had with Hunter PGP rotors, than with the I-20 heads.

Rate this thread